HO track dilemma

dmharvey8

Starting my first model HO railroad. I'm stuck with a track question: I have two tracks not exactly parallel and need to be joined together and continue as one track. I purchased two turnouts, one for each track, both turnouts will converge on each other, and be joined together to form one track by the two actual turnouts. So the train will exit one track via one turnout, then enter the other turnout leading onto the second track. Is Will this work or is there a better way?

First, let me confirm that what I'm thinking is what you're trying to do: Two tracks are traveling in a similar direction and will come together to continue travel in a single direction.

If that's true, my first question is: why did you purchase two turnouts? Sounds like a single Y-style switch is what you're looking for. If it's not true, then I misunderstood - maybe a picture would help?

To answer your question, any two tracks can join/split/converge wherever and whenever. Perhaps you're asking because the angles and direction seem weird? If so, there is no weird about how tracks come together unless it causes problems for operations (whether it be continuous runs or switching layout).

Maybe I answered your question, maybe I caused some more?

bklyman (you could call me mnhtttanman. And I regret never having walked across the brkln bridg !! Live LA LA LND 42 yrs)..
You took the woyds right outta my mout !! First thing I envisioned is 1 wye switch..Even an RH or LH..Unless he means a passing siding..........Nah !

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the way the track curves after the turnouts, it might be better to use a curved turnout. This is a single turnout, but both its routes are curved. Walthers sells them, and so does Peco. Or, if you have a unique situation where no commercial offerings will be suitable, have one made. What you need to do is to mock up the rails with flex track over graph paper. Then, with it all pinned into place, take a pencil and make a rough outline of all the ties, and mark where the tracks cross. That will be your frog. Either craft the turnout yourself or have someone make it for you. There are people in the hobby who build hand-laid turnouts for unique geometries. Won't be cheap, but you'll get precisely what you want.

If you can make it so that the twin tracks are parallel for about 6" before the turnout starts, and so that the exit at the points end extends tangent at least 6 inches, a simple Wye turnout (the two exits symmetrically exit at diverging angles, even curved if you need them to) will do.

First, let me confirm that what I'm thinking is what you're trying to do: Two tracks are traveling in a similar direction and will come together to continue travel in a single direction.

If that's true, my first question is: why did you purchase two turnouts? Sounds like a single Y-style switch is what you're looking for. If it's not true, then I misunderstood - maybe a picture would help?

To answer your question, any two tracks can join/split/converge wherever and whenever. Perhaps you're asking because the angles and direction seem weird? If so, there is no weird about how tracks come together unless it causes problems for operations (whether it be continuous runs or switching layout).

Maybe I answered your question, maybe I caused some more?
Well, duh on me!!! Thank you, don't know "wye":)) I didn't think of this. I'm sure it will work fine. Thanks again.......................

Back