HO Switching Layout Help Needed

StrasburgNut

Pennsy Area rail fan
Hi All,

I decided that I am going to go with HO scale for new layout. However, I am a bit stymied as to how to go from here. As I noted before in other posts, I have a 12.5' x 5.5' room (I'll post a schematic for you to visualize). I want to utilize the left 5.5' section and hopefull the whole 12.5' section of wall, and at a minimum 7' of the 12.5' wall section as there is a window there. I am thinking 2' deep for the width, and I would like to have a yard, an interchange line and a coal mining operation on the layout.

Any suggestions?

xtrkcad :D

Build it how you'd want to run it, is my best suggestion.....and pick up some good trackwork books that describe procedures in simple terms.

One end can be your interchange, the middle could be your yard, and the end the coal mine. Coal gets switched from the mine to the yard where it's classified and sorted to outgoing trains, which are then switched to the interchange yard, which goes out to the mainlines.

Then empties are brought back from the interchange directly to the mine, bypassing the yard.

Making some staging will allow for you to bring in a couple 'mainline' road locos to bring the trains in to and out from the interchange yard.

Like Mike said break out the XtrkCAD and start experimenting.

It helps to know what part of the country you want to run, the era, the roadname(s) etc. What do yo want the scenery to look like? If you don't know the program, run the tutorial. It will save you a lot of grief.

SN,

Take a look at Lance Mindheims Miami based shelf layout called "Voodoo & Palmettos". Its shallow shelf layout ,but it is beautifully done and only about 18 deep. It is a switching layout. If nothing else, its prototypical and very easy to build. I am pretty much using this layout, but a slight larger foot print.

www.lancemindheim.com

Larry

SN,

Take a look at Lance Mindheims Miami based shelf layout called "Voodoo & Palmettos". Its shallow shelf layout ,but it is beautifully done and only about 18 deep. It is a switching layout. If nothing else, its prototypical and very easy to build. I am pretty much using this layout, but a slight larger foot print.

www.lancemindheim.com

Larry
Man thats such a great layout too.

Back