HO scale layout dilemma

chessie_system3

I have moved into a small apartment. I have 7'x5' of open space...I can extend out another 2' against the wall. I can have it 2' wide as well on the extension. I really don't want to do a shelf layout for my focus is on the coal industry in southern West Virginia on the C&O. Maybe I can do a shelf with my mine runs? Any suggestions?

I have moved into a small apartment. I have 7'x5' of open space...I can extend out another 2' against the wall. I can have it 2' wide as well on the extension. I really don't want to do a shelf layout for my focus is on the coal industry in southern West Virginia on the C&O. Maybe I can do a shelf with my mine runs? Any suggestions?

what about building modules with fold-down legs that can be stored when not in used? multiple modules can be built using all the space available in the room. The modules can join end-to-end or on the side, forming L-shaped layouts, or perhaps in your case, side-to-side allowing wider radius loop backs. A book on British model RRs (maybe this one) described building such a layout stored in a chest of drawers.

Hmmm....I have given modules a thought. I have given a shelf layout a thought as well. I only have two walls to work with however and would only cover 7 feet on each wall. Good for a switching layout but that's not what I want to model.

What is your dilemma? A dilemma presents at least two permissible choices, both of which are likely to cause some form of harm, and the where correct or best option is not immediately apparent without some analysis. (Sorry, it's the pedant in me, but I used to teach a course in ethics where ethical dilemmas were to be analyzed in two major assignments.)

Model building in our hobby is always contingent upon space, funds, time, and other resources. We all have to compromise on some aspect of our dreams. If I were you, I would have a 24" deep shelf, the main component, with a switching complex and the mine. Leading out to the crushing plant and ore loading facility, would be a single track mini-shelf going around a corner and taking up another wall. Try for curves in the 22"-24" range so you can run a Mikado as a switcher, or maybe a Fairbanks-Morse H series, or if you are modern era, a SD-40 or GP-38, or whatever. You would only need maybe 6 #5 or #6 turnouts to make it interesting and involved.

I have actually decided to sit down and draw up some plans on a layout. Seeing what I can accomplish with my space available. I have 7x5 to work with. Its small but I can most likely come up with something. Here's hoping....

I would not despair, having a limit may actually be a blessing in disguise. I spent a couple years on my 4 x 8 and had a lot of fun in the process.

When we did get a bigger space, I used a lot of stuff from that original layout. Or if you get tired of it, there is always the option of re-doing it. The nice thing about model railroading is a lot of the stuff can be re used.

Could you get clearance to do shelf layout that goes around the room? Keeps you from being confined to that 7'x5' space.

Oh I would love to go around the room. Sadly though I can't...apartment rules say I can't block windows not to mention I'm putting my layout in our living room. So 7x5 is all I have.

You could always put the larger portion of the layout on either side of the room and run a 1' wide board across the window area...it could technically be a "shelf" and you could still access the window. I too am in an apartment and have a 5' x 12' PRR version of the Cerro Azul in my master bedroom (it is 16' x 11'), which is a workshop. I sleep in the smaller bedroom and it works out pretty well.

A simple drop down bridge or lift out section by the door could be solution. I have a hidden staging area with three tracks that I mainly use for storage but with bridge up I can run a train continuously around the layout. My layout is built mainly for switching and the hidden staging is usually used to park an outbound train after leaving a yard with an outbound freight, and then later brought back in as a inbound freight. You could do the same at the window.

I know the frustration of having limited space in an apartment. Back in the 70's after I got out of the service I was in train withdrawal an only had room for a small N scale layout that could be slid under a bed. It was sure nice when I finally got to move back to my home state and build a house with a basement for a layout.

Why not do a shelf and a module as well. Build the shelf and have the module in the closet till needed hook it up to the shelf.and you have more space and when not in use put it back in the closet and go about your day.

You could rent a storage unit and build your layout there.
I'm in a 1200 sq/ft townhouse myself so I can somewhat relate.
Since I live alone I considered building my layout right here in the living room. Even the landlord suggested that.
I thought he might have kittens over what I've done already. Au contraire, he loves it!

Instead I just completely took over the spare bedroom.
E

Back