HO Scale - Industry Facade - Distance off Wall?

Hi everyone,

I've see some convincing looking industry facades that are set against a wall, sticking out a few inches to create the physical 3D model and then maybe a photo behind to continue the effect.

What is the minimum amount of inches one typically models when doing this?

Also, when laying a track along a platform or facade with a loading bay, how far from the structure is best to place the track?

Thanks for any answers you might share.

I have structures ranging from 1/4" to several inches in depth, depends on how much room is available. I generally put the track centerline a scale 7' from a loading dock or door. That leaves a scale 1' clearance more or less. Gives plenty of clearance since there is usually a turnout nearby.

Years ago Walthers offered "Cornerstone Modulars." These were large or small brick walls, loading docks, foundations, etc...
The walls could be stacked to whatever height desired or added to make a building as long as you want. If you can find these modulars you
could knock out an industry quickly.

Also, when laying a track along a platform or facade with a loading bay, how far from the structure is best to place the track?
There are NMRA Standards for that. You can consult the NMRA.org or I believe its incorporated into the NMRA guage for your scale.
Most manufacturers engineer their products to be NMRA compliant. If you stick with the standards you shouldn't have any problems.

Back