Ho scale grapple hooks

Bigboy57

I’m not sure if this is the right section for this post. I am working on the logging portion of my layout and am looking for grapple hooks. Google search and the bay didn’t have many options. Anyone have other sources or ideas?

I should add to the above post that I’m modeling steam to diesel transition era…mid 40’s to mid 50’s. Thanks

I should add to the above post that I’m modeling steam to diesel transition era…mid 40’s to mid 50’s. Thanks
not exactly sure what the grapple hook is, maybe there is another name? I made some skidding tongs from a couple pieces of small wire which I bent to a crescent shape with a small hook bend on one end of each, worked to grab the end of logs for skidding with horses or oxen.

Dave LASM

I’m not sure if this is the right section for this post. I am working on the logging portion of my layout and am looking for grapple hooks. Google search and the bay didn’t have many options. Anyone have other sources or ideas?
Something like this you mean.

1703103500788.png

Yes you both have good suggestions. My rigging will require lifting the logs down over a rock face to place on train cars. I doubt I will actually make it working but I am imagining suspending one log for making a realistic scene. Thanks for your help.

Yes you both have good suggestions. My rigging will require lifting the logs down over a rock face to place on train cars. I doubt I will actually make it working but I am imagining suspending one log for making a realistic scene. Thanks for your help.
To convey logs downhill, a sluse was a wooden chute with water fed in the top where logs are rapidly transported down grades to, usually, a pond below. This is one old time method.

I don't think they loaded cars from above a bluff, typically, in part because it would be difficult to see what was going on. I could see setting up some type of large tripod and cable, probably just wrapping a chain or "choker" around each log or group of logs to get them below. I think there would be another type of setup below to stack the logs on the train car.

I worked in Idaho setting up timber sales on Forest Service land and the loggers could be very creative about getting the wood out of the woods, so I think some amount of creative license here is appropriate.

Dave LASM

To convey logs downhill, a sluse was a wooden chute with water fed in the top where logs are rapidly transported down grades to, usually, a pond below. This is one old time method.

I don't think they loaded cars from above a bluff, typically, in part because it would be difficult to see what was going on. I could see setting up some type of large tripod and cable, probably just wrapping a chain or "choker" around each log or group of logs to get them below. I think there would be another type of setup below to stack the logs on the train car.

I worked in Idaho setting up timber sales on Forest Service land and the loggers could be very creative about getting the wood out of the woods, so I think some amount of creative license here is appropriate.

Dave LASM
This is something like I’m trying to replicate:
And the second pic is of my layout where I’m planning to use it. The corner mountain is removable so I can use a scaffold I built to get access to the back corner (hopefully rarely) but that does limit my cable placement somewhat. The grapple (tongs) would be used to lower the log down to the waiting flatbed car which can then be transferred to another part of the layout.

Attachments

• IMG_0846.png
    IMG_0846.png
    655.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 30

Back