HO scale Grain Elevator 1930s-50s

MilwRoader_Steve

Greetings all!

I would be glad of your recommendations for a grain elevator. The scene will be upper Midwest, isolated spur off the main, no 'local' close by to work. So that that a through freight (vocab?) will have to stop and change out cars when needed.

I am of course, short on land area, so I am looking for a small footprint. Thanks in advance!!

Steve J

Here's a couple of small ones that I have. The structure itself is from American Model Builders and is Kit # 121, Silex Grain Elevator.
IMG_6792.JPG

The bin on the right is from Rix.
Another small one that I have that might be suitable for you is this one.
09-05-20 009.JPG

This is also from American Model Builders and is Kit #193, the Country Grain Elevator. Mine is the older version of this model made from plastic. They re-engineered it recently as a laser-cut wood structure at more than twice the price of my original!
More information on both if you click on the link up top.

I have a Grain Terminal but you said small footprint, so I don’t qualify but putting the picture up anyway.

I did a search: images of model railroading grain elevators. Hundreds of returns but many might be that small footprint you are looking for.

Have fun
TomO
31FCBEE9-4A3C-4BE4-95A1-7D2D13F7F4F0.jpeg
9E48E792-9BB4-4106-89AF-62A26C3A1F81.jpeg
A4606FAD-A658-4573-B185-C097EE823307.jpeg

Walther's has a kit that's on my wish list. Very typical of what I'd see when I was a Field Tech running to western Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma.

1643375384028.png

Walthers Cornerstone Part # 933-3036 Farmers Cooperative Rural Grain Elevator

Crawl before I walk, fellas! I saw that Walthers kit, too, and that is about my skill level, methinks. Patrick, if you have researched it ... are all the buildings completely independent? The footprint that comes up in Anyrail will be tough to fit in the spot I want to use it on.

Willie - I will look at those kits, Thanks; they seem intriguing - if a bit pricey. Quality costs, though.

Hi,

I was online at the Walthers.com and thought I‘d look at Grain Elevator kit, for you era.

Walthers Cornerstone has 3:

Valley Growers at $48.00
Farmers Coop at $39.00
Prairie Coop at $43.00

Then they have some nice laser cut kits by American Model Builder and a couple others but the price climbs.

Grain bins and dryers were used in your era so those would be additional.

That space you have may get you into scratch building or buy the kits and use them as background buildings plus a couple grain bins.

TomO

Thanks Tom,

I am hoping to get the elevator and one aux building full on. I am thinking a view block lengthwise down the 4x8, so might look to do some fronts along it.

Crawl before I walk, fellas! I saw that Walthers kit, too, and that is about my skill level, methinks. Patrick, if you have researched it ... are all the buildings completely independent? The footprint that comes up in Anyrail will be tough to fit in the spot I want to use it on.

Willie - I will look at those kits, Thanks; they seem intriguing - if a bit pricey. Quality costs, though.
AMB kits are a bit pricey, but they are laser-cut wood. They are also not for the faint of heart.
Regarding the kit Patrick posted, I also have that one. It is three separate buildings, although the elevator and office attach to the same base. They can be separated if needed. I didn't post it earlier since I didn't think that it fit your criteria.
09-05-20 001.JPG

Back