HO scale DCC track cleaning car

blue92rs

Cheaper than therapy!
Can anyone suggest some good HO scale track cleaning cars? I am in the market for one and do not know what is good or not. I have a 45 foot long shelf layout that runs along two walls of my unfinished basement. The track is filthy within 2 weeks. All rolling stock is upgraded to metal wheels. My DCC system is a NCE Powercab. I can easily upgrade the car to DCC if my best bet is a DC unit. Thank you in advance.

There are 2 really good track cleaning cars on the market, neither is powered, so there is no need for converting them. They are made by Centerline, and CMX, (IIRC). Of these the CMX has a pad that is moistened from a tank and has a needle valve to regulate the flow of the track cleaning solvent. The Centerline car has a heavy brass frame and a roller that a teri-towel strip is attached to and held in place by a small rubber band. The roller is moistened with the solvent as well.

Both cars function well, and get the job done.

Thank you very much Carey. I will start looking around for the Centerline and CMX cars.

I like the Centerline car, never tried the CMX. The first one is a much cheaper option.

Forum:

I have a variety of track cleaning cars and tools that include a box car with a Masonite pad mounted on the bottom of the car that is dragged along the tracks, a Walther box car with an abrasive pad on the bottom like the first cleaning car and two Center Line cars with brass rollers.

The Center Line cars do a great job of cleaning the track. I use one wet followed by a dry roller. I use liquid track cleaner that also can be used for slot cars. The Masonite pad works ok to clean the tops of the rails when pulled in a freight train.

Plain old cork roadbed also works to clean track and it isn't as aggressive as a Bright Boy.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rico. Thanks for the input. Looks like I can get the Centerline for less than half the cost of the CMX car. Did not realize they were so un-prototypical :rolleyes: lol.
CbarM, I have seen the Atlas car. I think that one is fully motorized and is DCC ready. Kinda pricey though. Haven't seen any reviews on it

Hello Greg, thank you for your input. I am glad to see more options for me to consider.

Ive seen the Atlas car for around $90-100. I think its a good investment if it works as stated, would save alot of time and screwin around if the layout gets dirty that often.

Maybe a guy could build his own DCC track cleaning car out of a 50' boxcar kinda deal, with the dremel buffer type attatchments underneath.

Nothing is better than the CMX cleaning car. Thats why its expensive. Its made of brass, its very heavy, and you can put Laquer thinner in it. A couple times around the layout and your DCC track is super clean, no dead spots.

Take a look at www.mnpinc.com. Saw it at WGH. Looks like a good one. It's DCC and double rotating cleaning pads. No liquid. I may try one.
Thanks
Wayne

It looks interesting, but at ~$170 shipped - the price tag seems pretty steep... Especially considering that the CMX tank car can be had for significantly less...

What about the Bachmann 16304 dry cleaning pad tank car ?

I would be hesitant to use a dry pad. I have no idea how abrasive the pad is but you do not want to scratch the track. You want the top of the rail smooth as possible. This is why I just paid the price and bought the CMX. You have a needle valve and can control the flow of liquid. Since the car is brass you can put almost any alcohol or cleaner in it. You can also cut a pair of pants or cloth to use once the original pad wears out. You cannot go wrong with the CMX and it is built to last.

Back