HO scale Athearn "R" dumptruck snowplow

PlowGuy

So here is my latest project, an Athearn "R" dump truck with a Ralph Ratcliffe snowplow kit.
I might start on a second dumptruck plow conversion today, this one will be highway orange and I'm going to build a side wing plow out of styrene.

This is what I started with.....
$(KGrHqJ,!jgFEhMUu!UKBSZB9Kcm9g~~60_57.jpg

and this is the "almost" end product. Still have a few touch ups.
001.JPG003.JPG

Steve

Seriously, that's the same truck?
Wow!

I wonder if the plastic packaging makes it look a little bit cartoonish. I haven't purchased cars/trucks because of this.

A few months back in Model Rail Craftsman there was an article written by one of the NBE&W guys about how to rework vehicles. Perhaps that may be worth a second look.

Kevin: Thanks, but no.... no tutorials by me. Honestly most of what I do is trial and error.... and if there is an error...I try to fix it!!! LOL I'm always an open book when it comes to technique and what was done so ask away.

Railrunner: I think this is true. The manufactures make these custom fit packages to keep the peices in place etc and they distort what you see. I never had much interest in these trucks before.... passed by them all the time at the hobby shop, but took a chance and found out that it really is pretty nice and has alot of detail. the problem with most vehicles is that out of the package everything is new and shiny. they look fake and cartoonish because we have an image in our heads that looks completely different when we think of the real ones.(dirty and grimmy) The key is to weather them and make them look like that image in your head the best you can. A little goes along way... I tend to over weather mine as I'm sure you can tell, but that my style and what I love! The dirtyier the rustier the better!!!

Well, I started and finished the Orange Highway Plow yesterday…. The side wing plow was made from a metal 1/64 plow I found online, and the hydraulic pistons are hand made from aluminum tubing from the hobby store and brass wire. The vertical beam for the raising/lowering piston is brass angle stock. AND the side plow does move to adjust angle but does not go up and down. I’ll definitely be making more of these!!!
Steve

001_zpsb2e199ba.jpg

002_zps761de80f.jpg

003_zpsc88a21ee.jpg

004_zps5a290bab.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So like I said, the side plow is moveable, the brass pins I used have a small flat head on them… I got them in the sewing section at Walmart, I have no idea what they are used for, but they make great pistons!!!! I drilled the holes in the metal plow, slipped the pin through, bent it to the angle I wanted and inserted the “bare” end into the aluminum tubing. I do this on the Jordan Spreaders I make as well…. They move in and out with just enough drag that you can position them anywhere you want. Attached is a pic of the pins and 2 shots of the bottom of the truck/plow so you can see how they can rotate and move. No static displays here!!!!!
007_zps1cbfc5c2.jpg

005_zps9691ccea.jpg

006_zps13123c4b.jpg

Excellent work as usual Steve, although I have to say that in our part of the continent we are getting pretty sick of seeing snow plows!

LOL, Sorry Garry. Just think if there werent any though you'd be wishing for some!!! ;) Thanks for the compliment!

Kevin: Thanks, but no.... no tutorials by me. Honestly most of what I do is trial and error.... and if there is an error...I try to fix it!!! LOL I'm always an open book when it comes to technique and what was done so ask away.

Well, for starters, can you tell me what products you use to weather your models? I tried my hand at weathering years ago, and of all the modeling skills I posess, that is by far my worst.

LOL, it definitly takes practice, each one I do I think is a little better than the last.... but still striving to get like some. There is another message board I am on where some of the work will blow your socks off!!!

First I start with either a model I already like the paint scheme on or if not I try to get on in white or the lightest color possible. This gives a good base coat. Its hard to paint yellows and reds over dark blues and blacks, so sometimes I will have to shoot it with white just to lighten the undertones. As I have said before I got a cheap passhe (sp) dual action (highly recomended for paint flow control) airbrush, and use the cheap less than a doller acrylic paints from any craft store. Brand does not matter. I usually thin the paint down 20%paint to about 80% 90% isopropal alcohol from any drug store. Again, brand dosent matter.
I do all my detail work, kitbashing, scratch building and finally painting before I weather.

For weathering I use weathering powders, I started off years ago by grinding down pastell chalk sticks onto white paper with a wirebrush, but now have a tray of assorted colors by a company called stoney mountain classic castings..... they may be the best, they may be the worst, I dont know as these are all I have had a chance to use. I dull coat my paint and decals with testors (I have tried others and this is the best IMO, some still seem shiny) The dull coat will give you a nice tooth for the powders to "catch" on. Just apply them dry with small brsuhes, and cover with dull coat. after spraying with the dull coat they will fade out meaning they wont look as strong as they were when you put them on dry, so you will have to re-apply and do many layers. if you mess up just wipe it off......as long as you havent gone over them with the dull coat. Sometimes, after i am almost complete i will give it a light dusting with more powders without spraying... makes it look even more realistic, but it could come off depending how much you handle your trains.

another tip is to dab paint on an area similar to the color you want and then apply the powders to it wet. The brush will be no good after that, but it makes the rust really look like you could go at it with a putyy knife!!!

Heres another tip.... mix a little powder (rust colors)in a small cup or tray with a little iso alchohol..... just enough to make it "muddy... but a little thinner. Next take some scissors and cut a few straw bristles off one of your wifes brooms....seriously, its worth the bum chew... hot glue gun the strands on one end and wrap with tape if you want to make sort of a "mini broom" and make the other end look a little scragaly. dip the scragally end into your muddy alcohol/powder mixture and dab at a 90 degree angle onto your model. let these random spots dry completly. you can do this again with a darker or lighter color until you have different rusty colored spots. again, once they are dry, take a nice flat small (1/4 inch) wide paint brush, dip it in some fresh iso alco, dab a bit on a towel to remove excess and then make a completly vertical top to botom pass over each spot. It will give the illusion of running rust. if you want a bigger or darker "run" go over it again. its important to keep the strokes verticle top to bottom as rust dosent usually run at angles.

last tip...... paint a car completly brown.... a dark brown perferably. once the paint is dry, mist the car with water. while still wet sprinkle the entire car, top, sides, and ends with sea salt(the big grandular stuff). let the model sit until the salt spekles are dry and stuck on. choose the color that you want the car to be...... lets say yellow. Paint the car yellow (over the salt) until it is the desires shade/thickness. let it dry. once the top coat is dry take a hobby knife and stick the point at the edge/bottom of each grandular and "flick it off......... what will that do???? well............. it makes it look like you have a yellow car with rust spots on it, and where the salt was will now be recessed in as the yellow paint is thicker.... it gives it a 3D look. Trust me, its cool... try it on a junk car first. after that use your powders to make the lighter shades around it and running rust.

Hope these help and spark some "ohhh I'm gonna tray that"!!!!! Have fun, thats what its all about!!!
Steve

I will definitely try your techniques. I was going about it all wrong. I just recently bought an assortment of rail cars. But some are too nice to experiment on I think. So I am going to purchase a few more things off eBay and try my hand at weathering.

Thanks for the tips!

Hey Steve. I want to model this guy in N scale as best I can. Where did you find the plows?

Kevin, The front plow is made by Ralph Ratcliffe, just google his name and it will show up. The side plow was from a guy who sells 1/64 stuff on Ebay.... I just made it fit my application.

Back