HO Scale Apartment Layout

Big question before I go further... Should I use track nails or glue it down? I feel like glue will give a solid connection; but messy and difficult to re-work later on. With the nails I feel like the connection isn't as solid (nailing into foam), but much easier to rework and cleaner. I think nails, as it's simpler, but what do you guys things?

glue is kinda mandatory for foam, unless you use long pins. You don't have any sharp curves for the cork to deal with so temporary tacking should be fine, but when you have decided on alignment and such, you should glue it down. Glue doesn't have to be messy though.

Apartment Layout

Hi Mike, I don't know if you subscribe to Model Railroader Mag but in the latest issue (Jan 2013) Pelle Soeberg has a great article about track laying. It may not apply all to you but I think it's got some very great points. Also if you haven't subscribed to Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine you ought to. It's frea at; mrhmag.com.

Thanks
Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Small update here!

I know it's slow going; but at least it's going.

I picked up some more cork this weekend and am working into the second area of benchwork:
uDz85.jpg

And I've made quite some progress with the trackwork. Having to custom cut nearly every turnout has been a chore, but I really like the tightness of it all and I think that it's going to work out quite well!
njiSw.jpg

I've been pretty busy, but I've made some progress on the second part of the layout. I made a few changes to the yard layout. I'm no longer using a curved turnout, and in lieu; creating a switchback for the engine house as it won't fit between the yard and wall! Good thing track comes up easily!

Laying down the yard!
N1JVj.jpg

I also noticed last night that one of my no.6 turnouts is missing it's frog. Does anyone know where to order just a frog for a turnout? I don't exactly have the equipment to make my own... :eek:

How in the heck are you missing a frog on the switch? Did you buy the track used? I would return if you can and get a replacement.

My grandfather gave me a bunch of old turnouts. He has no idea where the frog could have gone... :confused:

I'm thinking it may just be cheaper to buy a new switch altogether?

Okay, things are going slowly, but steadily! I've got almost all the track down and now I'm trying to fine tune the feeders to make sure there are no dead-spots.

I've picked up a separate power pack now for the accessories and switch-machines and I have a question, what gauge wire should the bus be for the separate lines? I've been using Romex for the track bus and it is pretty darn heavy wire. Do I need as thick for the secondary?

I will also try to post some progress pictures tonight (not that there's much to look at yet) :D

Wire sizes

Mike 20-22 Gauge for the track feeders and 14-18 for the bus ought to be fine for your size layout.
Wayne

It's been awhile since I've last posted, but I'm back working on the layout and need some help.
If you refer to the images below, I have a spur running out from the mainline part of the track into a small industrial area and I desperately need to fit in a runaround track. At the least this has to accommodate a single box/flat car so I can get the switcher around it. But I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to make it fit. I laid down a couple switches in the area I was thinking it should be, but clearly it would not work. If you could give me ideas on how to reconfigure this area to allow for two small industries and a runaround track I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
DSC00472.jpg
DSC00473.jpg

If that one in front of the engine house is your attempt at a runaround it looks too short to be of much use. Are those sidings down by the mainline? If so use those. Would also change that RH Xover to a LH one as it looks like a useless switchback. Put it on the left end of the siding.

I've come up with a potential solution, while not the most efficient use of real estate, I think may be interesting.
DSC00476.jpg
Using a crossover to handle the line into the factory on the left, the runaround moves around said line. By parking the car on the crossover, I may be able to run the loco around to the other side. Keep in mind the loco's I'm using for this area of the layout are an sw9 and a 44 tonner, so I don't need loads of space to switch the loco around.

Also, cajon, the switchover you are referring to, is that the one I've highlighted in green?

Thanks.

Yes that's the Xover. You should move it right of the factory lead to avoid having to do switchback moves to get to the factory. Maybe you could show us an image showing what's to the right showing the whole area. Don't really see the need for the little runaround if you can do the same thing using the siding & mainline since they're near by anyway. The real RRs are always looking for ways to save money.

Back