HO Kato SD90 - remove shell

HO Kato SD90 - remove shell - any hint on how to get the hooks loose???
I just can't get the shell to move.

Couplers are off and interfering handrails are loose.

take care ,,, ken

HO Kato SD90 - remove shell - any hint on how to get the hooks loose???
I just can't get the shell to move.

Couplers are off and interfering handrails are loose.

take care ,,, ken

I found out how to remove my Kato shell on my NW2 by going to their website a while back.

Here's a sample from their site, but I don,t know how to navigate to other instructions for removal of shells on other locos.

http://www.katousa.com/N/GG1/maint/disassembly.html#bodyshell

have instructions

Thanks Zoegraf, but I have the instruction sheet and it is the same as online.

Either I am not squezing the shell hard enough where I think the hooks are or I need a hint..

thanks ,,, ken

It still makes me cringe remembering how hard I had to squeeze to get the shell off. I though I was going to break it for sure.

I wear white gloves from the dollar store to avoid damaging the finish or weathering.

http://katousa.com/consumers/HO-NW2-Bodyshell-removal.html

Here’s a shot of the only Katos I have. They still run great. I wish they made some more Canadian stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the documentation with my SD-38, the diagrams show the locations of the hooks, a bit of squeezing and rocking works, squeeze so your kind of pinching between the shell and frame for leverage, still isn;t anywhere near as hard as my Athearn BB 440's, broke the first one.

Success - thanks guys

Well I tried squeezing as hard as I could at the rear hook location on the shell to no avail.

Couldn't see how any amount of squeezing on the cab was going to work, I finally resorted to a really thin chisel Xacto blade to reach under the cab and get the front hooks and then very carefully used it on the rear as well. With care and a little additional squeezing and rocking they all released (no harm done) and we are operational with a decoder. Now to redo the handrails and couplers.

I like the Kato light pipes and having no connection to the shell from the frame.

take care ,,, ken

Yep, Kato locos are easy and clean to work on, but sometimes getting them apart for the first time stinks.

Back