HO figures and paint

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
I purchased some nicely painted farm animals from Hobby Lobby several months ago. And ordered 30
Oriental figures listed as 1/72 scale over the internet before Christmas.
After comparing the farmer with so0me 1/100 figures, I feel they are really 1/100 scale rather than 1/87.

The Oriental figures are slightly larger than known HO figures and appear to be 1/72 scale as advertised.
However, the colors of the molding plastic makes the coloring of the figures terrible.
20240129_131049.jpg

I added a little paint to the farm animals to make them mine and the size will not matter on my layout.
20240130_193828.jpg

Just like the forum members, figures on my layout come in all sizes, shapes and colors.
These will all be background figures, but it took a lot of paint to make them into even background figures. Yes, I think they are worth the $2.00 I paid for them.

The paint jobs on some of the Oriental models leave a lot to be desired. Over-painting and colors not seen in the US except in Kalifornia. And lots of flash and mold release pins. I have had to tell my kids and grandkids to quit purchasing them for me off Amazon. They're cheap though and the ones from Evemodels are getting better. They are basically knock-offs of Preiser figures.

Willie is exactly correct.
The Oriental figures with flash and long sprues on the heads make some really strange factory painted figures.
One lady figure I had looked like Medusa in a purple outfit. I should have taken a picture.
A hobby knife and nippers produced an acceptable figure.

When I got my first set of them a few years back, at first glance I thought that they were all Oriental figures with that Oriental bun on the top of their heads! Then I quickly realized that it was the sprue attachment point that wasn't trimmed off. And every one of them came with black painted hair, generally poorly applied!
BTW, mine were all actually HO scale.

BTW, mine were all actually HO scale.
Willie- Most of my figures are true HO scale.
However, some items from an American retailer were labeled as 1/87, but were not. The Oriental figures purchased here were labeled as 1/72 in the description.
I was checking if they were close enough to be used with 1/87 figures and I feel they can be considered taller people on the layout.
I kinda got off topic with the "factory" paint jobs.
My next figure painting project will be done on many unpainted Preiser figures.

Last edited:
I got these off of e-Bay. 90 pieces for $20.66. The paint works. Lots of duplicates, but once they're inside the car you don't really notice much. I also bought a set of Preiser 10-14009 seated people. More expensive for less, but a better variety so I mix a few of them in with the cheapies!
Diner passengers.jpg

Alan- your figures are actually some of the better figures I have seen. The red, orange or green plastic color is not mixed with lavender or orange clothing colors.
I think the Orientals buy over stock from the paint manufacturers in any color.
Use your painted Preiser figures next to the windows like using good vehicles and structures in your foreground.

Back