HO double stack/well car dimensions

lgjc

My son and I are in the early stages of building a mountain and tunnel for our HO train layout. At some point we may want to include double stack containers/well cars. Can someone let us know the height of the double stack when loaded on a well car? I'm interested to know if the stock tunnel portals that are available are tall enough to accommodate this, our will me need to allow for more height?

If no one answers by late for you I can measure when home.

I have noticed out of the box none of the long wellcars seem right on my 18" curves. So I cut them shorter, the metal walthers one I think it was came out good with enough well left to hold a 40" container. This other plastic cheapie I cut to have about a 35' well and shortened a container. Total hack job I am not happy with. Maybe someday tyco will make a semi scale well car.

Oh and dont forget bulktainer and roadrailer loads too!

Well cars don't look quite right on 18"R curves but they work as long as they have metal wheels (and kadees). The articulated 5-unit sets may look better due to slightly shorter chassis. I wouldn't recommend shortening them simply because they won't be of much use later on.

That said, coupler-coupler the Athearn cars are 10". For 18"R curves, the well hangs over the inside of the curve by 1-1/8" from centerline. With two containers height is a little under 2-7/8".

Back