HO Athearn Genesis FEF-3 4-8-4 Problems

parrthd1

Ok, So for Christmas I received An Athearn Genesis FEF-3 4-8-4 UP #8444 in Greyhound scheme... And my overall impression was good! It is an amazing sounding and looking locomotive... Although just when I thought Athearn had finally fixed the problem I have had occur on ALL of my Genesis locomotives, It started...

At periodic points on ANY Layout I put it on... Even BRAND NEW and cleaned track, It shorts out/pauses, then moves on... Its just annoying...
The lights, sound, and motor stops.... Like it looses power for a second then moves on...

I have had this problem with my SD60I and my GP9, and now this.

In my SD60I and GP9 it was one of the trucks lead wires had come loose and wasn't picking up power, so an easy fix.

But the FEF is different, I believe the Locomotive Picks up the power, as the Wires plug into the tender, So how do I fix that... I haven't opened it up yet but I'm afraid if I do that I might just screw it up. Hence the reason I'm going to wait until I Get to the club to open it up. I just want to have some ideas of what is wrong and how to fix it.

Another problem is that when the locomotive is at speed, It sounds as if one wheel is off or something is dragging, But when I check it, nothing is wrong, it seems to be coming from under the cab... And just today, the mars light has stopped oscillating, it now stays solid...

Thanks.

-Jacob

xlNEMl3.jpg

ETGR89B.jpg

P2Hri6C.jpg

VuiANFD.jpg

5oOR1qW.jpg

R9BFgaH.jpg

PnqSOd5.jpg

45HTCd6.jpg

ho5iPJl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the plug in the tender is not all the way in. Make sure it is seated flush with the plug. if it isn't the problems you describe can occur.

Looks like the plug in the tender is not all the way in. Make sure it is seated flush with the plug. if it isn't the problems you describe can occur.

Thats as far as It goes it. One of the wire's seems as if it is barley come out, I have addressed it and it doesn't seem to be the problem... This Hobby should be changed from "Model Railroading" to "Trouble shooting and frustration costs thousands of dollars!" :D But Its all wonderful fun when it works!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back