Historic Payroll Car

Very nice photography work.

Thanks Patrick.

This image is the product of the first day out with my new 665nm IR camera. The payroll car has been on my "to do" list for some time. The original plan was to light paint the car during a long night exposure. It is in a lousy area of town to be hanging out at night with expensive photography gear, so the IR shot seemed to be the way to go.

Very nice!! I'm curious: what camera are you using? I've seen some amazing IR photos taken with a Canon G10 that was converted to IR, and I'm wondering about doing that with my G11.

Another great shot Grande. The snow is the perfect backdrop. It makes that old timer look as lonely as it is. The side door is unique. Were employees actually paid from the car? Do you know any other history about her? I tend to think 1907 was still mostly all wood construction but that car obviously proves the error in that assumption. I'm sure there was a security concern if payroll was being transported.

Another great shot Grande. The snow is the perfect backdrop. It makes that old timer look as lonely as it is. The side door is unique. Were employees actually paid from the car? Do you know any other history about her? I tend to think 1907 was still mostly all wood construction but that car obviously proves the error in that assumption. I'm sure there was a security concern if payroll was being transported.

Normally, yes. People were generally paid in cash in those days, so the actually payment would have been done right at the car.

Very nice!! I'm curious: what camera are you using? I've seen some amazing IR photos taken with a Canon G10 that was converted to IR, and I'm wondering about doing that with my G11.

My camera is a G5 converted to 665nm IR. The original plan was to convert my 40D backup camera but I had some concerns after talking with the folks at LifePixel (de-activated dust shaker, lens compatibility concerns, etc). The G5 is like riding a worn out mule after a throughbred racehorse compared to shooting the 40D/50D/5D2 that I normally use, but it is fun, inexpensive, and will allow me to see if I want to go further with IR in the future. It also shoots RAW files, takes CF cards and the 511 batteries like my dSLRs.

Do you moderate the Canon forum?

Another great shot Grande. The snow is the perfect backdrop. It makes that old timer look as lonely as it is.

Thanks haphall.

What I want to do is meld art photography with the local industrial history subjects I have a passion for. The idea is that folks that otherwise wouldn't have noticed might realize the history around them and help keep it alive. In short this appeals to my interest in history and photography. Hopefully other folks will enjoy it. IR is useful to help meet this goal and can also help separate overgrown subjects from their environment.

My camera is a G5 converted to 665nm IR. The original plan was to convert my 40D backup camera but I had some concerns after talking with the folks at LifePixel (de-activated dust shaker, lens compatibility concerns, etc). The G5 is like riding a worn out mule after a throughbred racehorse compared to shooting the 40D/50D/5D2 that I normally use, but it is fun, inexpensive, and will allow me to see if I want to go further with IR in the future. It also shoots RAW files, takes CF cards and the 511 batteries like my dSLRs.

Do you moderate the Canon forum?

I know what you mean. I presently shoot a 5D2, 1D3, 7D, and a G11. There was one model in the G-series that didn't shoot RAW. I skipped that one.

I was playing in Lightroom last night, and found an old shot I'd taken of a UP engine in Reno, and I was really impressed. I was even more blown away when I realized I'd taken it with a G2. In so many ways, those Powershots are among the most useful cameras I've ever owned.

Do you belong to any photography forums?

Back