Hi

D&SRR

Railroad Worker
D&SRR is "Dad and Son Rail Road". In my early teens I was heavy into model trains. Time past, hormones set in and trains where put away, given away, and/or sold (had to make room for the ladies). Although I've remained a fan throughout the years, I never developed the "push" to get knee deep in the hobby again. My son has had a love for trains since he was about a year old. He will soon be 5 and he is Autistic. Most all Autistic children love Thomas the Tank Engine and this is where he fell in love. Most move on to other things later on but my son just moved on to different trains all while not moving to other things at all. I cannot count the number of "Thomas" trains he has nor the actual feet of track he has accumulated over the years. He also has numerous battery powered HO and O scaled trains. The boy is a master of Youtube and watches train video's constantly, some of Thomas trains and some of scale model electric trains in elaborate setups. My wife and I recently took him to a real train shop with some real nice layouts and trains running. I've never in my life seen my son so "lit up" in my life. All the stuff he'd only seen on the computer screen or on the big screen TV and dreamed about was live before his very eye's. I guess for him it was like meeting your favorite celebrity or sommat. Either way, I cried watching him in that much excitement. I also made a decision that day...

I capitalize on ebay and so far have about $500 worth of HO scale stuff for about $80. I just finished getting a train running today although the layout isn't finished. My son didn't care that the tree's weren't in place, he just watched the train run. Being Autistic, he's not going to say "thanks Dad" but his face being set on high glow and him bouncing up and down says the same thing.

I'm new to an old hobby and back then then was no internet. Maybe now it'll be easier to find those answers to questions I may have. Been reading for a while, finally decided to join. Nice site and thanks for having me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice story. Even teared me up thinking of his passion of trains.So cool!.
Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you and your son here. I, like you, didnt have internet and learned alot from books. I wished I had this tool years ago too.
Again welcome aboard. Am glad you found us.
It will be great to see some future pictures of you and your son's build.
Thanks for the heart warming story. And welcome back to the hobby.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'm "Billy" by the way.

My first electric train in over 20 years and I'm already having a ball with it despite working out the little problems. But there again that's half my enjoyment is working on it/them. My son just watches me take stuff apart and put in back together. He doesn't know what I'm doing but he's interested regardless. Mostly he just wants to see it "go". LOL!

Back