Hi from the "Southern Highlands" NSW, Australia

Creepy

G/day Folks
Another train nut from "Down Under" been into both model and full size trains for years. I havn't had a layout for about 7 years, but that bug has bit me again,:) so I'm currently in the design stage of a small (13' x 9') modern US based layout in HO.(BNSF)

This is a great site with some fantastic layouts and lots of helpful information, one thing that I now realize is that a layout does not have to be super large to be very operational or even inspirational.

I look forward to participating in the forum discussions and hope to learn from a great bunch of modelers and maybe even offer some advice;)

All the best

Gary

Welcome to the Forums, Gary. This is the friendliest site on the internet for model railroading with a great bunch of people here. Plenty of knowledgeable folks willing to help in any way they can if needed. Several others here from Oz as well. Don't be a stranger and let us know how things progress.

Hi Gary, the Aussie invasion continues. Oh! and by the way, you can't have BNSF without the MRL as well! (although I shouldn't try to convert you, 'cause then you'll be another looking for scarce rolling stock).

MRL?!!? Everyone knows the RSSX is where the real action is.

Wondered what the yellow paint attraction was about. Lot of early Geeps in that roster as well as switchers. Some interesting genset conversions of GP10's, would be a good kitbash (if you could find any GP10 models, GP15 maybe?)

Wondered what the yellow paint attraction was about.

'Critter' obsession. I'm sure it is in the DSM 4, listed under certifiable disorders.:rolleyes:

Doesn't MRL use GP10s? Or are they GP9m's or sometihng like that? Intermountain, as it happens, has promised to do a run of GP10's next year. So much for trying to save money.

No GP10's but yes GP9's, about 15 at last count. There was one classed as a GP19-1 that had been a high nose hood and cut down to a low hood, but was scrapped in 12/08 after a nasty rearender when it finished up under a piggy back trailer http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1235722 http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1235813. Doesn't mention any injuries to the crew, but I'll bet they wished it had still had it's high hood at the time.

Have to do a comparison between those GP10's and GP9's, see if they similar enough.

And apologies Gary for hijacking your thread.

Hi folks, thanks for the warm welcome, I will post up some pics of the layout soon (when construction starts) and no I don't mind if you stray off the track a little.
I always thought MRL and RSSX were medical procedures. :):):)

All the best
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
MRL is all about improving mental function while RSSX is about correcting bowel disfunction.

Hi folks, thanks for the warm welcome, I will post up some pics of the layout soon (when construction starts) and no I don't mind if you stray off the track a little.
I always thought MRL and RSSX were medical procedures. :):):)

All the best
Gary

MRL is the reporting mark for the Montana Raillink RR. RSSX is the report markings for Rail Switcher Service, not actually a RR as such, but a locomotive leaser.

If I was to start out all over, I think I'd go for the Birmingham Southern. How can one go past an RR with the report marking BS?

Back