Hi From Lima Ohio

edtheward

He everybody. I am new to the forums. my goal is to help out my uncle who has been building HO models and layouts for a long time. He is a highly skilled scratchbuilt builder, he is looking to start selling some of his collection. I am looking on information on pricing, interest, and HOW THE HECK DO YOU SHIP THESE THINGS SAFELY!?!?:confused: which sections should I be asking these questions?

thanks

Hello neighbor and welcome to the forums! Me and the gf have been to Lima plenty of times (her parents live in indian lake so we venture up that way time to time), and have visited the club there (I cannot remember the name however), is he affiliated with them at all? I would love to see some of his work. Pricing depends on the detail, size, look, etc.. of the models. What kinds of things does he scratchbuild? We have a modern HO layout, so if he does any work like that we would be more than interested. As far as shipping goes, big boxes with lots of Styrofoam and maybe even some sort of wooden protective frame depending on the size of the model. I have never personally shipped any scratchbuilt models, but I have received some and know how they were shipped and packaged, and Im sure other members on this forum have more experience in this department and can give you more advice. Good luck and welcome to the forums!

he does pre-50's mostly. I dont think he is a part of any groups. He does build kits and then usually scratch builds a clone of the kit. he also builds structures for other people as his craft and detail are really good. He gave me a few smaller buildings to find out what they may be worth. he doesnt really know. he is one of those people that goes to train shows but otherwise has the "fortress of solitude" in his basement with the huge layout and lots of time as he is retired.

We are all pretty honest on here, so I would say your best bet to find out the worth is to post some pictures of the structures he gave you, and we can do our best to let you know what we would pay/what they would be worth. Between all of us on here we have a pretty good idea of what things are worth, what is a stupid outrageous price for things (just check out some of the eBay posts lol) and what is a really good deal when we see one. Another option would be to find a pre-built kit that is similar to one of his buildings and see how much it costs, to maybe just give you a base price (his models would be more valuable since they are scratchbuilt and the quality is better). So that is my 2 cents, good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back