Hi from central Ontario

Iron Man

Well I've been lurking here for a few weeks and thought i better register and introduce myself. I have been out of the hobby about 5 years as i dismantled my last layout dew to life getting in the way, it filled a 15 buy 30 foot room and was wired for dcc.
there was no real theme, just somewhere to run trains. This layout is going to have a steel theme to it, i had just bought a steel mill and some other buildings for the last one. I will start a thread in a few weeks to show the progress, just got some insulation board to start placing some stuff.
I know this site and you guys will be a lot of help. Anyway just wanted to say hi.

Iron Man

Welcome to the forum! Let us know the progress on your layout. Steel themed layouts are cool. So make sure you post lots of pics.

Welcome, Iron Man. I live on Vancouver Island, north of Nanaimo. I really prefer USA steam, but I do have some Canadian representation on my freelanced railroad. I have a Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo J1 Hudson that they bought from the New York Central, and two CPR locomotives, a Selkirk 2-10-4 and an SW-8 switcher.

If you are already familiar with DCC, then returning should be a snap that way. You just need to take your time and plan everything out that is going to provide you with the fun. Remember to be careful about minimum radius, the frog number on turnouts, any reversing segments that will need to be gapped and switched for polarity, and plan any elevations to include vertical curves at each end of the grades. Last thing is to map out the footprint you'll need to the industry and how you'll get in and out of there without fouling your operations.

Good luck.

Welcome! What do you model? HO scale? Where in Ontario? I have a place in London, ON but currently reside in NY.

Hey alcomotive, i model in ho scale. I am just south of barrie.

Selector i know what you mean about taking your time, i must have spent 2yrs working out all the kinks for my last layout. Luckly i just finished reading model railroaders book on steel mills and there is a section on track plans. Most of them have been built so i figured they have worked out the kinks. There is 2 plans i am leaning towards, just going to change a few things, nothing major.
There is someone selling some th and b switchers here but will have to wait till after christmas. I want to loosely base the layout on the stelco plant in hamilton.

Later guys

Welcome back to the hobby and to the forums. This is a great site to hang out and share your progress as you get started again. Lots of good people here that are willing to help if you need it. We do like lots of pictures!

Back