Hi all, new member here

roadwheel

Hi! My name is roadwheel. I was going to fill out a profile, but I can't seem to find it here. Anyway, I began building an HO layout (5x8) about 5 months ago. I was into model railroading about 30 years ago and then got out of it. I"m amazed at how much a lot of this has changed. Right now I'm doing standard but in the future I will most likely switch over to DCC (after I understand it a little bit better). I'm modeling Santa Fe and Rio Grande (freights) of the 60's, and 70's era. Anyhow, If someone could tell me how to get to the profile section and/or anything thing else I need to know about the site I would be greatly thankful. Thanks.-roadwheel :D

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Top left corner of the forum pages. You will see user CP link.
clicking on that will take you to your forum account where you can change your profile.

Hi RW and welcome!

A lot of the change has occurred during the last 15 years with the onset of DCC, plus the prevalence of ready-to-run rolling stock and the disappearance of Athearn blue box kits. Manufactures are assuming that today's modelers usually have a lot more money than time. This might make it hard for young people [with limited $$] to get started in the hobby.

If you plan on doing DCC, I'd do it sooner rather than later. I kept putting off the conversion because I had amassed a large number of locomotives, and I dreaded the thought of buying decoders for all of them and having to install them myself. It's much easier to start in DCC with a 'clean slate'.

Hi RW and welcome!

A lot of the change has occurred during the last 15 years with the onset of DCC, plus the prevalence of ready-to-run rolling stock and the disappearance of Athearn blue box kits. Manufactures are assuming that today's modelers usually have a lot more money than time. This might make it hard for young people [with limited $$] to get started in the hobby.

If you plan on doing DCC, I'd do it sooner rather than later. I kept putting off the conversion because I had amassed a large number of locomotives, and I dreaded the thought of buying decoders for all of them and having to install them myself. It's much easier to start in DCC with a 'clean slate'.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mine. -roadwheel

Back