HHP-8 consists

Severity One

Hi,

Several months ago, I got a Bachmann Spectrum HHP-8 from the USA, mostly because I think it's a very pretty looking locomotive. And when you're used to European prices, just over $100 for a brand new model looked rather enticing.

Now I've been looking a bit about what kind of cars could go behind it, but strangely enough, information appears to be a little bit sparse. Bear in mind that I live on a small-ish island in the middle of the Mediterranean, so all my information would come from the internet. From what I understand, it could for example be eight Amfleet coaches, or a Silver Meteor/Star.

Now, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to models. :) Because I've decided not to build a layout (too much work and too high an investment to protect my precious models against humidity and high temperatures, not to mention bright sunlight), I can concentrate on getting very detailed models to put in a display case. To give you an idea: the coaches by LS Models and ACME have multi-coloured interiors, sprung buffers, and the French BB 7003 locomotive even has a minuscule fire extinguisher in the driver's cab.

So that's the kind of detailing I'm after. The Walthers Proto line looks terrific, what with its metal plated Amfleet coaches and all. But to have eight nearly identical coaches would be a little bit boring. A Silver Star consist would bring a bit of variation, but the ViewLiner models don't even have an interior, so that would be a definite no-no.

If you would have any recommendations regarding highly detailed coaches that go behind an HHP-8, that would be greatly appreciated. And if there are such models in the pipeline, I can wait for those. I've spent the past five years assembling a City Night Line train, and I'm still not done. So a couple of years more or less aren't a problem.

Thanks in advance,

- Peter

Walthers Proto Amfleet 1, 5 to 7 Coaches, 1 Cafe, for a Northeast Corridor Train; Long Haul consist would include a heritage baggage, heritage Diner, 2 to 3 Viewliner Sleepers, an Amfleet 2 Lounge, and 3 to 5 Amfleet 2 coaches. (Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent). Or for a third variation, heritage baggage, Amfleet 2 cafe, 3 Amfleet 2 coaches, Amfleet 1 coach or 2. (Palmetto, Carolinian). All are currently or were previously offered by Walthers. Beyond that, perhaps brass cars.

Back