Here's my layout so far...

Night Train

Started working on it in mid-January of (2012) and should finish most of the trackwork in a few days. I had enough track laid out yesterday that I was able to run some trains a good distance. The locos I ran yesterday were from the layout I'd built 25 years ago. Much more to do though till it's all done.

This was actually taken more than a month ago while still planning the switch area going from the main route into the yard area. The plan is from 101 Track Layouts. I built this many many years ago for my own kids, but got taken down in a move. Now I am building it for my grandkids.

All of the corkbed is down now as is most of the track. More photos later...

2012-03-08%252022.00.08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree-looks interesting. Looks like the Reading plan. Are you planning to include some catenary? Will you be modeling the Reading? I used a 4x8 HO plan, with sharp curves from that book, but turned it into N Scale. 18" radius(or 19") isn't so bad in N-scale. Keep us posted. I like the Ohio themed layout there, but have considered trying to add aisle space, and changing it to a Reading theme.

Any progress? Would love to see more photos!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Making any progress. Your subroadbed looks well supported. As a Reading fan, I'm interested to see your progress.

Making any progress. Your subroadbed looks well supported. As a Reading fan, I'm interested to see your progress.
It has been awhile.

I've got the corkbed and most of the track work done and I'm waiting until I'm off on Summer vacation before starting the serious electrical work. I picked up a cheap transformer and hooked it up to the track and have been running my old locos I ran when I last built this 25 years ago. I'm going to be running DCC and have already bought a couple of nice DCC locos and some new rolling stock as well as a DCC transformer, controller etc.

I just have to figure out the reverse loop wiring and start doing it. Here are a couple of pics taken recently...

2012-04-26%252018.36.48.jpg

2012-04-26%252018.36.15.jpg

Looks like you are off to an excellent start! I'm in about the same situation as you, not having run any model trains for over 20 years. You, however, have a good start on your layout while mine is dependent on getting what will be my trainroom remodeled before the actual layout begins. Good luck with your layout and keep us up to date!

Are you as impressed with the quality of the newer n scale equipment as I am? I'm not sure I'll want to run any of the older stuff after having run some of my new DCC locos. The older locos aren't in all that great of shape anyway, after four moves and a little less than ideal conditions for part of the time.

Good luck with your layout and keep us up to date on your progress.

Looking really good!

What are your plans for tunnel access, seeing as it appears as though you'll have quite a few?
Actually, I'm kinda tall (6'4") and I have long arms so I won't need any access tunnels; I can reach all parts of the layout with little difficulty. I think I read your question correctly...unless you were talking about tunnels the trains go through...

Are you as impressed with the quality of the newer n scale equipment as I am? I'm not sure I'll want to run any of the older stuff after having run some of my new DCC locos. The older locos aren't in all that great of shape anyway, after four moves and a little less than ideal conditions for part of the time.

Good luck with your layout and keep us up to date on your progress.
Thanks!

Yes, I am very impressed with the new equipment. I ran one of my new locos on DCC power tonight and WOW! Soooo much better than the old transformer/block system of 20+ years ago. The smooth, low-speed operation is very impressive.

Incredible!! Nice job! It looks like you've got some good, long runs there.
Thanks! I've always liked long trains making a long run.

Night Train, great layout! I like the open grid benchwork. Who built the benchwork?

Paul
Thanks for the comment!

I built the benchwork. Started in mid-January and finally got the last electrical trackwork done just last week. Although much remains to be done, including laying the track for the yard area, my trains run properly throughout all switches, turns and everywhere else.

Next up is wiring the switches. As I run my trains and flip the switches manually now, I'm deciding on where to place the switch controllers. I'm thinking to have a set of controls on both sides of the layout so as I operate my trains with the wireless handheld while walking around the set, I can operate any switch without having to go back to the other side of the layout or having to do it by hand as I'm doing now.

I'd thought about getting some stationary decoders and using the handheld cab to control each switch. But after considering the steps required to do that, (push ACCY, enter the switch code, then press 1 or 2 to activate the switch) it just seems quicker and simpler to slide and push the little light blue button corresponding to the switch I want to control.

Just last night I sat down and outlined the switchboard I'm going to make so that at a glance, one will be able to know which button operates which switch. I'll post some pics when I get that done.

Good times...

Night Train, do you get your trains and equipment from Eastside in Kirkland?

Paul
Actually I've not yet gone to that particular store. So far, I've bought most of my equipment from Tacoma Trains on N. 26th and the Train Store in Burien. I've also ordered a few things from Jim's Model Trains online.

Here's a video I shot this morning of what I've done so far. Sorry about the shaky video but I'm doing 3 things at once...running 2 trains, switching tracks where necessary and shooting the video.

Video of my layout so far...

At the 1:10 mark, you can see the loco entering the section of track that had given me problems before I figured out the reversing business with the help of forum members.

Night Train,

Looks Great!! Having been in the hobby since the 70's, I don't think I've ever seen anyone else, at least in the assorted print magazines, actually build this layout, let alone watch a video of it running. Nice job!! Will it be 'Western Themed,' or are you planning to eventually go with a Reading theme? I've thought about it as a Western Pacific themed layout.

Night Train,

Looks Great!! Having been in the hobby since the 70's, I don't think I've ever seen anyone else, at least in the assorted print magazines, actually build this layout, let alone watch a video of it running. Nice job!! Will it be 'Western Themed,' or are you planning to eventually go with a Reading theme? I've thought about it as a Western Pacific themed layout.
Thanks for your kind comments!

I'm actually planning to model it after the railroads around the Tacoma area including lots and lots of intermodal units, BNSF locos, and some of the mountains around this area.

I'm really a noobie when it comes 'modeling it after' certain periods or locations. My joy comes in simply watching my trains snake up an incline, go over and under and next to each other and run smoothly through the switches...running 2 and 3 trains at the same time. Maybe that will all change as I continue building it up little by little. We'll see.

Yeah, this is a layout that is good for any type of harbor to mountains type of running; to me at least. Its your hobby, do what makes you happy, and let the others stew. I agree that there's something very endearing watching a train snake around over a well designed layout.

With all the alternate routes, I could see this layout subbing for several routes thru the Cascades.

Looking forward to more progress reports!

Otis

Back