Helping Step Son Build Diorama - Need Ideas

NScaler

Engineer in Training
My 13 year old step-son has joined 4H. He is going to build a diorama. His interests are Star Wars and of course exotic cars. I would have to help him out with this project and I was trying to convince him to build a gas station scene. But he wasn't interested. He suggested Star Wars, but I would have a hard time giving any creative input even though I do like Star Wars.

So I tried to think of things we have similar interests in. We both love the show Top Gear (UK version), so I thought maybe he would like to build a diorama of a famous race course and we could throw some cars on there racing around a curve. He liked this idea. He even went on to mention we could build the famous corkscrew turn on the Laguna Seca Raceway in California. It amazes me that he thought of that. Not only is it my favorite feature on any race track (on the Playstation of course), I think it would make for a great diorama.

So off we go to the hobby store to get some inspiration. He can actually build 2 dioramas and I think it would be fun to build the gas station scene. And I do think he would really be into it once he started building it. But I would be interested in hearing other ideas. Knowing he likes Star Wars, Legos, exotic cars, and stuff most boys his age like, what would be asome other ideas for a diorama? It can actually be quite large at like 28" x 36".

I of course would love for him to build a model railroad diorama because I could show him how to hand lay N scale track and all the scenery. He could then learn the skills needed to help me build my layout. But I am not sure he is into it all that much. He loves seeing my model builds. But has never wanted to help. So I am really hoping we can find something he will really take to and want to do a good job on.

Thanks for reading.

You could build both ideas onto the same diorama, a racetrack with a pits scene,which is just one long gas station.

Ron

Hey Kevin!

I can't help you much with any ideas, my grandsons are 4 and 5 years old so I am not up on what a 13 year old would like. I have about as much imagination and creativity as calculator so I can't come up with anything on my own.

Thinking back to when I was 13, I was a sports fanatic so maybe a baseball, football, basketball or some other spots scene.

That sounds like great bonding experience, thanks for sharing it with us.

Well guys, we couldn't find a single car that would work on a diorama. We were both trying to come up with something but they just didn't have much to work with.

They had a couple model railroad dioramas though, and when he saw them he said he wanted to build that. I tried not to influence him too much. I was happy he was checking out the train stuff with enthusiasm. So I guess I will start a build thread for his diorama ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Well guys, we couldn't find a single car that would work on a diorama.
Hmm, I guess they don't sell these in Wally world anymore:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-LOT-OF-54-MINI-NASCAR-CARS-1-144-SCALE-/310889983458
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Racing...-Cast-50th-Anniversary-Set-of-5-/310759995080

Photo from Yelp. NASCAR on the corkscrew turn at the Laguna Seca Raceway.
l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing he likes Star Wars, Legos, exotic cars, and stuff most boys his age like, what would be asome other ideas for a diorama? It can actually be quite large at like 28" x 36".
A rail loading facility where they are loading Legos on to the trains.

We were looking for some Italians and or a Bugatti. But those are pretty cool.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Had the same problem with my duaghter acouple of months back most i did to help after she got her topic is let her raid my scenery box for my lay out and showed her how to use some of it got a lot of dad points for that. its you son project let him run with it might get him interested in your layout if he can use your knowledge on scenery on his idels

Back