Helping Step-Son Build a Diorama - Really Cool!

NScaler

Engineer in Training
My buddy Kaleb is building his very first diorama for 4H at the ripe old age of 13. He decided to build one using some of my train stuff. I am trying not to help too much as this is supposed to be his project. So this should be interesting. I hope he learns a bunch from this.

The plan is to have a river gorge dividing two rock cliffs. There will be a trestle bridge in the foreground crossing the river. Following the river on the left side going under the bridge will be another track going off into the background.

The trees will all be hand made from twisted wire and poly fiber. Here are some pics so far:

20140308_195842_zpsskr89sk3.jpg

Teaching him to use the foam wire cutter:
20140308_195726_zpsv2eslj3f.jpg

20140308_195737_zpssbhpxkpq.jpg

Here you can see the game plan:
20140308_195537_zpsvc37kwpq.jpg

20140308_203016_zps3dzwiv9b.jpg

There is certainly plenty to interest in that small space, 4 of the best scenic elements to choose. Rocks/ravines, a river, a bridge and a tunnel entrance. if you can squeeze in a highway on the opposite riverbank with cars and trucks on it, that'll make 5.

We were seriously considering a road bridge across the river in the back, but undecided yet.

If you try to cross the river with a road bridge at right angles to the river you will have the problem of where to put the road on either side, and the rail bridge I suggest is the one to make the greatest feature of, (A steel arch with the legs anchored into the canyon walls and with the top of the arch extending above track level perhaps). How about the roadway coming from the left lower side (the pic with the piece of track) embankment, which could be wider to accommodate both road and track, and then crossing the river beneath the rail bridge's arch at about a 45degree angle onto the right side bank because the river banks have narrowed at the left back that it will only accommodate the rail track, but on the right bank has widened sufficiently to take the roadway?

Suggestions only.

We have already decided on a trestle bridge since I am really anxious to see him try to build one. I may have to help him a bit with it. But here is the bent we have come up with...
Untitled-2_zps36d3fe05.gif

The only part of the bridge I am unsure of is where the lower track and proposed road pass under it. I have never built a trestle with an underpass like this one...
curved%20trestle.jpg

This diorama is mainly being built to showcase this type of bridge. The idea of the road bridge in the background was to further hide the fact that the river goes into the backdrop. So the backdrop will have to have the river painted on it as though it travels off into the distance. And I know that is not going to turn out as well as the rest of the scenery. So I was trying to think of ways to hide that area as much as possible. If you look at the last picture the flat cut into the right rear corner at the top of the rockwork was for a road tunnel. I was thinking we could carve the bridge out of foam and build one of these...
3-stone-bridge.png

Another update. wombat457 (aka Tony) used a torch to make a pond that he showed off in one of his posts. So we broke out the ole propane bottle and I lit it up and handed it to an immature 13 year old who commenced to trying to burn the house down. Actually, he did a very good job of creating a river in the bottom of our valley.
20140309_133452_zpss1qtf3jm.jpg

20140309_134117_zpsbuvj5jhi.jpg

Then I showed him how to apply plaster cloth. He is having a lot of fun with this project and kept commenting how this is such a great hobby. I am so proud of him!
20140309_135501_zpsx9luji9e.jpg

20140309_140410_zpssm8qo4ch.jpg

More pics coming soon...

P.S. Tony - the torch trick worked ridiculously good! After covering the river bed up with the plaster cloth it looks so realistic it could pass for a dried up river bed. Thanks for sharing that little trick!

Last edited by a moderator:
We are now taking a little break while waiting for some rock castings to set up. We went through one roll of plaster cloth which I thought would be enough to cover everything. But it is going to take another few feet. It's a good thing I happen to have some extra rolls lying around ;)

Man, I really missed building these! If any of you want a great way to teach the young ones about this great hobby, this is a very good way to expose them to every aspect of model railroad scenery building in a very short period of time.

I was anxious to start laying down some rock work, but the video games had pulled his attention away. Then a friend came over and asked him if he could come and play. So off he went. Boys will be boys I guess. So I will update with more as soon as they get into an argument about which Lego Wii game is the best and Kaleb comes home LOL.

Kevin,

I'm glad the torch and burning worked, it did come out looking great so congrats to your son. Glad your house is still standing though :) To be honest, the idea of burning in a river etc is not mine, just e that I stumbled over some time ago so I can't take all of the credit for it. Wish I could remember where I found the idea though.

Cheers,

Lookin' good. Sometimes a break allows the subconscious to think of solutions and ideas.

We started putting some rocks on. We were going to do the abutments first, but I told Kaleb the rocks were there on the real rock face when they put the abutments in. So we figured it was ok for us to model the gorge without the bridge first. Look at how well the river bed turned out...
20140309_142017_zpstxhdt6ir.jpg

And here is the first of the rock work...
20140309_194148_zpsxue9qtrg.jpg

I wanted to add that Kaleb placed every single rock. I used Sculpt-a-Mold to blend in the area between the rocks. I think he did a pretty good job for his first rock scene.

Starting on the tunnel portal:
20140312_205111_zpsfqzh8nj6.jpg

I took some basswood to work and engraved it on the CNC:
20140312_211534_zpsr76ox0bv.jpg

Tomorrow is going to be a fun day of assembly:
20140312_222658_zpshxpc0i79.jpg

I was thinking we could carve the bridge out of foam and build one of these...
Any idea where that stone bridge is? Looks almost like on over the Schuylkill river in Philly. But I remember the one in Philly having more "drains" in the bottom of it. Yes, I have only ever seen it from a boat on the river looking up.

I just did a Google image search. I will look when I get home and see if I can find it again.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

More updates! Kaleb assembled everything all by himself. When you see the finished result you are going to be impressed. I know I am. Especially since he is 13.

Looky!
20140319_214845_zpsgfyrzknl.jpg

20140319_214903_zpsnbouuers.jpg

Check this guy out...
20140319_215620_zpsbxjkky4r.jpg

I told Kaleb if he puts this much effort into the rest of this diorama he is going to the state fair with ease. I am so proud of him!

I cannot wait to see this on the diorama:
20140319_222928_zpsxr1gzkht.jpg

Then I can't wait to get him started on the trestle bridge ;)

Back