Help !!!!

I have a short somewhere and can't find it. I was running trains Saturday evening. All was well. Sunday afternoon I went to run again and I have a short and can't find it. Is there a way to zero in on a short?

isn't the common approach to successively isolate sections of your layout.

but first, make sure there isn't a problem with the supply by disconnecting it and making sure there isn't a problem.

disconnect half your layout from the supply: if you still have a short, then it's in the section still connected to the supply. if you no longer have a short, it's in the section you disconnected. split the section with the short in half and identify the half with the short. Keep going until you've isolated it to a small enough section that you can isolate the short on.

good luck
greg

First remove all rolling stock.
Second test every turnout and make sure they and if you have slide switches are working correctly.
Third try to seperate (move) joiners to form gaps in the track.
Somewhere along the line the short should go out.

My layout is one big block. I can't even half it. I guess I will have to start cutting rails I am not sure that would work as I have added jumpers over the years.

remove all rolling stock 1st; cars, engines, all of it. this may locate the problem and will cause you to look closely at the track while doing it. shorts in wiring don't just happen overnight. Something changed. So unless you did some wiring changes I highly doubt it is in the wiring.

In addition to removing all the rolling stock and engines, before you cut any wires, do a full visual inspection of the layout for tools or any other foreign objects on the tracks.

Don't ask me how I know this.....its embarassing:eek::eek::eek:

Also check wiring under the benchwork. Temperature changes and humidy can cause benchwork to expand and contract. Two wires that have been sitting ever so close together for a long time can get pinched together if the benchwork moves.

Mark.

I'd just inspect the track. Somewhere there's a quarter or a derailed car or something that's causing the short.

Maybe also check any stranded wires in screw terminals... power pack connections etc. It'd be really easy for a strand to get out there.

All locomotives are off of the troubled track. I am getting closer to finding it . I have a double track main. I have eliminated All yards and secondary tracks. It appears the problem is in the main.

Can you slide the rail joiners to create gaps?
If so then do it in several places until the short disappears.

If you have a crossover, try the above on all sides first.

I think I found it. I tracked it down to a feeder wire, cut it and the tester went quiet. Now to go back an redo some wiring. Wish me luck

Back