Help With New Layout Ideas???

meanjean

Well its getting close for us to move again. Military life isnt as friendly with model railroading. I have tired a 4x8 before and didnt like the way it worked for me. Modular wont always work since I dont know the space where Im moving to in the future.

So here is what I was thinking. A portable layout, 5x9 or so could fit in most bedrooms and is still portable. I want to run my SD40T-2's so the largest radius is required, the 5' wide layout could handle a 22" radius. I want to have a place to keep my locos on display and a few cars in a train yard with an engine house.

What I really need is to retire and stop moving every 3 years!!

I wanted a layout with a center backdrop to break up the action. A line where I could expand some staging if future space allowed. Mulit level maybe?

I have searched Modelrailroader data base and nothing there fits what I want.
The Virginia 4x8 they recently did would be nice. Maybe expand it to the 5x9 I mentioned.

So I come to you and ask for your help. Maybe a track plan of something like what I mention.

Sounds like a crazy idea but there has to be a tabletop layout that meets my needs.
Thanks
Chad

Hi Chad --

To me, a "portable" 5x9 foot layout sounds like a worse idea than a sectional (not modular) layout.

If you are prepared to use up most of the floor space of a 9 x 11 foot area anyways, it is hard to see why a layout built in sections would be a problem:

sectional-in-9x11.jpg

In contrast, a 5x9 foot layout in the same space:
5x9-in-9x11.jpg

If you have less available space than 9 x 11 feet, then you are out of luck with the 5 x 9 foot layout. With a sectional layout, you just don't put up all the sections.

If you have more space, you add new custom made sections, or just don't go all the way out to the walls - no harder to not go all the way out to the walls with a sectional layout than it is with a big table.

If you want a rectangular tabletop that is easily movable and will fit into most rooms, the smartest way to go is N scale - building a layout on one hollow core door - say 36" x 80". With a center backdrop/view block splitting it into two scenes and two foot aisles on three sides, it takes about 7 x 9 foot of floor space (considerable less than the 9 x 11 foot you need for a H0 scale 5x9).

Functionally (in terms of allowable curve radii, room for yard ladders etc) a 36" x 80" N scale layout is the equivalent of a 5.4 foot x 12 foot H0 scale layout.

Anyways - just a couple of suggestions. Not a given that they will work for you.

Smile,
Stein

Thanks for the advise and your right, a sectional layout would be better, I just have a hard time getting the sections to line up correctly. guess I need to work on my carpenter skills more?

I will have to revisit the idea of sections.

Not always easy to find a track plan for a section layout. I want to start this with a planand end goal unlike most of the plans in the past, or lack there of.

Well, share with us some more of your hopes and dreams and I bet a group of guys could come up with a pretty great plan for you. "Typical bedrooms" are pretty typical and a modular layout should be able to work, or be easily adapted, into any typical room configuration.

#1, thanks for your service.

I agree with LoudMusic, what are your interests? SP in the 80's with tunnel motors? The more specific you can be about your interests, the easier it is to recommend something.

Have you consulted any of the 'usual' (ie Atlas, Kalmback, Carstens) track plan books? They usually have 4x8 layouts that you could 'upsize' to 5x9, if so desired.

If you're in the military, does your base have a club, or is there one in the vicinity? Modular might have the advantage that the module can move with you later, + you might be able to be part of a modular club, which has the capacity to organize bigger layouts.

Another possibility, if you're relatively new, how about going to N, if you're in HO? A 4x8 in N is like 8'x16 in HO. 19" radius in N is like 38" radius in HO. A 4x8 could be broken up into 4, 2x4' sections. If I were younger, I might have gone this way.

Otis

Back