Help with floor plan

Habbyguy

I am looking for your input on floor plans for this house.
IMG_0868.jpg

This is what I am thinking.
Floorplanbig.jpg

What do you all think?

I'd probably put living and dining rooms in the front of the house, a kitchen in the back on one side or the other, and a bathroom and stairs on the other back side.

Remember that you can get away with a lot by putting curtains on a window or two. ;)

I found something similar in the Sear's Catalog home. But the side and rear doors are in the wrong places to be able to do this plan.
bungalowplan-s-c187-sherbourne.jpg

I would take out the wall between the living room and the stairs, and the short extension on the kitchen/living room divider, and the kitchen wall next to the rear door. Then I would make an entrance to the kitchen from the living room and treat it as both kitchen and dining room.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take out the wall between the living room and the stairs, and the short extension on the kitchen/living room divider, and the kitchen wall next to the rear door. Then I would make an entrance to the kitchen from the living room and treat it as both kitchen and dining room.

This is so weird, I was thinking the same thing.
Then make the bathroom area by the side door the laundry room.

From the front door, I'd put the stairs on the left (alongside the front wall, turning back towards the center of the house, in line with the window about halfway up the side. Stairs to the side door leading downward underneath the upper part of the staircase. Kitchen in back left corner of the house, dining room back right corner. Living room front left corner, with the double windows overlooking the porch.

Upstairs, bathroom back left side (where the small window is), and three bedrooms, roughly centered on each of the double windows. Make one bedroom larger (the master bedroom), and probably situated in front. You could play with closet placement a little.

If the home has an exterior chimney (one that goes up the wall on the outside), then that could help determine either kitchen or living room placement (and perhaps master bedroom placement), provided the house is old enough.

I wouldn't go crazy with a modern floor plan (one that has a larger kitchen or first floor bath/half bath or more closets) because most older houses I've seen were quartered on each floor (meaning 4 "rooms" per floor). Bathrooms are expensive and require extra plumbing and usually another window for ventilation. Some area municipalities taxed home owners on the number of rooms they had (and counted closets as rooms), so armoires and chiffarobes (sp?) were more common. Also, we didn't have as much junk as we do now.

What era is your layout?

This could easily be an older home that has since been renovated and the floor plan changed. Things like the kitchen, and bathrooms would be in generally the same area but with walls moved about. Older homes tend to have more smaller rooms than current homes. So a lot of home owners would knock out that 3rd bedroom to increase the size of the other 2, or knock down the walls of the dining room to enlarge the kitchen and have a more open floor plan where kitchen and living room meet.

Looking at the photo in the OP, something has caught my attention.

Facing the house the front door is on your left, but level with the front porch. Then very near it is the side door, at ground level. On that same side of the house you see the smaller windows at odd elevations. That to me says the stairway is there, probably one with a landing. You'd go in that side door and either step up, most likely into a hallway connecting a small front living room to the kitchen in the back, or turn and go down into the basement. The small window up top is probably for a narrow bathroom, off the hallway right at the top of the stairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The side door would likely go in front of the stairs that take you to the first floor. A turn to the left upon opening the door would lead you down a half flight of stairs to the basement. There is where the laundry room would be.

Placement of a chimney is important, as smaller houses would have a hearth heat the main room (living room) and/or a kitchen. On larger homes, say of the era right after the antebellum era (and I'm talking about the South), there would be a hearth/fireplace in every room, to provide heat to that room in winter. Chimneys for kitchens would be separate from the ones that are used to heat the house.

If your lot size is big enough, a small one car garage would be nice on the left hand side, back behind the house. A two-track gravel drive would go alongside the left side, so that the owner, when coming home, would park the car in the garage or driveway, and then walk in the side door instead of the front.

Being a Handyman by trade and working on alot of houses over the years I can tell you a bit about this house.

Going in the front door the stairs would be to the left. The half window to the left of the door is at the platform in the corner. Then the steps go up to the window above the door on the side. There is another platform there and the steps turn again and make the rest of the rise toward the center of the house. The door on the side had a landing inside. Turn right and you go down to the basement. Go straight and you get to the front room.

Most of these houses would have a big room across the front and a dining room and kitchen to the rear. Usually having french doors between the living room and dining room. In this one the kitchen window would be next to the side door shown. More than likely the upstairs would be 3 bedrooms and a bath much like the sears plan shown. The bathroom would be the small window upstairs. Some would have a half bath on the first floor off the kitchen.

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a model house that I believe is the same or very similar to the one you're working on (I first found it in some stock photography that I stumbled upon -- see attached photo).

Where did you order yours from, and do you know its name?

Thanks so much and good luck on your floor plans!

Dan K

Just finished putting the structure together. Now to furnish it. Almost finished the fridge. Just need to sand and paint and put on door handles.
IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

Very nice work so far. :) Don't forget to paint/tinfoil the exterior walls inside so the plastic doesn't glow when lit, I always forget to do that and it always comes back to haunt me.

Back