Help with Christmas Layout

rdeal

[FONT=&quot]Christmas of 1947 my dad gave me a Lionel Train - engine # 1655, tender, baby ruth car, tank car, gondola (six barrels) and lighted caboose - - - in addition the following accessories that are track operated / beacon / railroad crossing sign / a little house that a open as the train passes, switchman comes out with swinging lantern / each year I put this around the tree/circle/on plywood /using original Lionel 027 track

Next year I would like to use a figure 8 – and not use plywood /therefore I think I would like to use a stronger track – stronger in terms of stiffer track – a stiff roadbed – a stiff roadbed because the train will run on floor and tree skirt – the other consideration is: the track must be able to accommodate my powered accessories as mentioned above

Thanks so much for your help

Rdeal[/FONT]

You can get 027 straight track in 35" long sections. It's somewhat stiffer than 4 normal straight sections. The weakest points of sectional track is where 2 sections join. Do you attack the track to the plywood, or just place it on top without fastening it to the board.

Hey Rdeal,

I use Lionel FasTrack on my Christmas layout. I just snap it together and place it right on top of the carpet. In places it crosses the tree skirt, I've run extension cords under it and I have never had a derailment that was not caused by my dogs, cat or grandsons.

There are some issues with using post war track activated accessories with FasTrack, but there are solutions to each of them.

I am not familiar enough with all of your post war accessories to tell you what you would need, but Lionel can and will.

talktous@lionel.com I would suggest you write to them to ask what you need. You can also call them Phone: 586-949-4100

You could also contact MB Klein/Model Train Stuff largescale@modeltrainstuff.com or call them Toll Free Phone: 1.888.410.2672 They are more then likely the lowest price on Fastrack as well.

That is a great train set you have a an even better history.

Back