Help with a Labelle Passenger Car kit

Vince-RA

I've been slowly (SLOWLY) working through the Labelle open coach platform kit - https://www.labellemodels.com/1883-open-platform-coach-p-38.html

I'm a bit stuck on a particular bit of instruction and am hoping someone can either confirm my assumptions or set me straight. The instructions say:

Make up Overhang Pieces (36) for Ends of Roof from 1/16 inch by 1/2 inch stripwood by first cutting and sanding contour Point "D", now cut contoured piece fo approximate length and cement in place. Trim and sand of excess Flush with Top of Roof. This means that you are laminating three pieces of wood together. The roof block, the Clerestory Strip (35) and the end piece (36).
This is the isometric diagram:
isometric.jpg

This is the elevation:

elevation.jpg

And here is a picture of a similar assembled kit I found online:

model.jpg

I assume the instructions are talking about making the bit circled in red in the photo?? I guess the upshot is, I need to cut the inside curve on the stripwood, glue it into place, and then cut/sand the top to match the roof. Seem like a reasonable take on these instructions?

FWIW this is what my roof looks like after sanding the curve in (the step preceding the instructions above)

DSCN5921.JPG

I've been slowly (SLOWLY) working through the Labelle open coach platform kit - https://www.labellemodels.com/1883-open-platform-coach-p-38.html

I'm a bit stuck on a particular bit of instruction and am hoping someone can either confirm my assumptions or set me straight. The instructions say:

This is the isometric diagram:
View attachment 156147
This is the elevation:

View attachment 156148

And here is a picture of a similar assembled kit I found online:

View attachment 156150

I assume the instructions are talking about making the bit circled in red in the photo?? I guess the upshot is, I need to cut the inside curve on the stripwood, glue it into place, and then cut/sand the top to match the roof. Seem like a reasonable take on these instructions?

FWIW this is what my roof looks like after sanding the curve in (the step preceding the instructions above)

View attachment 156151

The example set his curved piece inside (not flush) the piece #31. So there would be a slight overhang, like .05". Looks like how the prototypes looked as well.

looks like piece 35 should be flush with piece 32 and piece 36 is more or less the cover should be recessed (IMO) a little.

That is why I don't attempt these. I always feel they could include a couple other angle drawings so we wouldn't have to rely on words as much.

The example set his curved piece inside (not flush) the piece #31. So there would be a slight overhang, like .05". Looks like how the prototypes looked as well.

looks like piece 35 should be flush with piece 32 and piece 36 is more or less the cover should be recessed (IMO) a little.

That is why I don't attempt these. I always feel they could include a couple other angle drawings so we wouldn't have to rely on words as much.
Completely agreed. They talk about how "these kits have a reputation of being hard but they're not that hard" - they would be a LOT easier if the instructions were clearer and better! In some cases it's the same instruction sheet for multiple kits which makes it even more annoying to decipher. It's too bad, they are really nice and detailed kits and far nicer to work with than some of the laserboard / metal kits I've built in the past.

DSCN5922.JPG

This is a close-up of the unsanded end with parts labeled. There is definitely a bit of overhang of 31 over 35 (which is at the same level as the tiny pieces around the windows - pay no attention to that crooked one, I'm fixing it now :p ). I don't see any way to make it work with the addition of part 36 without sanding down a bit of the edge that the line labeled #31 points to (making the top of #31 flush with #35 and giving a flat surface on which to "laminate" #36 - ie "laminating three pieces of wood together"). I guess worst case it looks weird, or really really worst case it's so bad I toss it. Thanks for the reply!

Found this on the Labelle site - https://www.labellemodels.com/manuals/Roof Contour.pdf

Looks like my interpretation was mostly correct, although the method they show in here would be much easier than the way I did it. Not sure why they don't just tell you to look at this document as part of the instructions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
nice you found the internet link, I am thinking the kit is pre internet therefore no mention of web link?

nice you found the internet link, I am thinking the kit is pre internet therefore no mention of web link?
Very possible, some of these kit designs date back 50+ years if my googling was correct. Still needs a little cleanup/finish sanding but overall I think it turned out well:

roof_end.jpg

Back