Help! Wiring my layout.

mcohall

Hi, I currently just got interested into model railroading. I have created a computer image of my layout that I plan on building. I have read atlas's book on wiring. I'm still very new to this as is my father. My father has a O27 layout but he doesn't know how to wire it because his is AC and HO is DC. I was wondering if someone could tell or show me what I would need for my layout. There are no reverse loops in my layout and I plan to through my switches remotely. I will attach a picture of my layout to this post. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The layout is a 4X8

I was wondering if someone could tell or show me what I would need for my layout. There are no reverse loops in my layout and I plan to through my switches remotely.
So the layout is two loops of track that are not connected to each other?

Wiring for the trains is easy. Hook two wires from the power supply to the two rails of the track. Repeat for the other power supply and the other track.

The turnouts will be a different story. Most of all it depends on what type of turnout motors will be used. Wiring and power supplies are totally different for the twin-coil type than they are for the stall motor type. You mentioned Atlas which are twin coil type. If so are you also going to use Atlas turnout controllers?

Last edited by a moderator:
They dont come much easier to wire up than that. +polarity on the outside rail and -polarity on the inside rail, or vice versa.

So the layout is two loops of track that are not connected to each other?

Wiring for the trains is easy. Hook two wires from the power supply to the two rails of the track. Repeat for the other power supply and the other track.

The turnouts will be a different story. Most of all it depends on what type of turnout motors will be used. Wiring and power supplies are totally different for the twin-coil type than they are for the stall motor type.

Thank you for your response. I bought Atlas Right Remote Snap-switch code100 turn outs. Do I still have to buy a motor to throw them remotely or do they come with it? As you can see im very new.

bought Atlas Right Remote Snap-switch code100 turn outs. Do I still have to buy a motor to throw them remotely or do they come with it?
They come both ways. Did the package come with wire in it. like this one?
850.gif

That would have the motor included.

On the other hand the one below would have to have the motor added. Notice the three "holes" on the end. Powered turnouts have brass screws there, so that the wires can be hooked to.
861.gif

They come both ways. Did the package come with wire in it. like this one?
850.gif

That would have the motor included.

On the other hand the one below would have to have the motor added. Notice the three "holes" on the end. Powered turnouts have brass screws there, so that the wires can be hooked to.
861.gif

Mine has exactly everything the top one has. I searched youtube and no one has a video on how to set them up and how to wire them to a board to throw them by pressing a button.

Mine has exactly everything the top one has. I searched youtube and no one has a video on how to set them up and how to wire them to a board to throw them by pressing a button.

Darn just wrote a long note and the stupid system ate it before it got posted... Try again.

It is very simple. Get the three conductor wire and run it from the three screw connections on the top of the switch to the three connections on the end of the turnout. Center wire to to center connection. Don't know why someone would put something like that on a video web site.

Then get two more wires and run them from the AC power output of your power pack to the two connectors on one side of the switch.

The contacts on the other side of the switch is for connecting more switches to.

Darn just wrote a long note and the stupid system ate it before it got posted... Try again.

It is very simple. Get the three conductor wire and run it from the three screw connections on the top of the switch to the three connections on the end of the turnout. Center wire to to center connection. Don't know why someone would put something like that on a video web site.

Then get two more wires and run them from the AC power output of your power pack to the two connectors on one side of the switch.

The contacts on the other side of the switch is for connecting more switches to.
Thanks, and you never know. There could be anything to everything on youtube. There are a lot of model railroading videos. Also, watching a video on how to do it is a lot better for the type of learner I am.

Hi Mcohall, please do invest in good momentary contact switches to control your turnouts. If you get push button switches you can mount them in a control panel with a track schematic overlay.

Thanks, and you never know. There could be anything to everything on youtube. There are a lot of model railroading videos. Also, watching a video on how to do it is a lot better for the type of learner I am.
Oh, ok, I thought U-tube was just a bunch of people posting their "home movies", sort of like America's Funniest Videos TV show.

Back