Help on layout Decision please

Hello, i need help on my layout, below is what i have planned so far, it is HO scale, a minimum of 36'' radii (i model modern BNSF thats y such wide radii) as i said i model modern day BNSF, so this layout is based on Tehachapi.

I just thought that i would get your guys opinion on if you would add anything. And do you think i should put a backdrop dividing the pininsula?

Here she is

What do you plan to do on your layout? You have a big yard, but it doesn't serve any industries. If it is staging for you to run trains, that works if you think you won't get bored.

Given the nature of your layout, watching trains, I would not put up a block. If you do, then a large portion of your layout is out of your line of sight no matter where you are. Build the center up into a mountain and the train will have a reason to go around it.

Well no all the little spurs will serve an industry, and my layout will be for operations, not just to watch. And plus i like the feeling of trains winding through the mountains on a single track out in the middle fo nowhere. but if i made my whole layout that = boring, so i added a yard and 3 industries.

thanks
Austin

If that is the case you have a yard that will handle 70 cars to distribute 3 of them. This is fine if you like to sort trains, but with the location of your industries, the yard switcher would handle the deliveries. So you have a big yard with nothing to do, so to speak.

The balance is off.

ok thanks space, ill add some more facilities.

macjet-thanks for the tip and the link, im going to add a grain elevator near the bottom right corner

Looks like quite a layout you're planning but I have one question...where's the Tehachapi Loop? You could remodel the middle peninsula to have a semblance of the actual loop there. Seems kind of pointless to be modeling Tehachapi area withut having the loop unless I'm missing something obvious.

UP2CSX- i dont model the loop, because i model the Tehachapi area, and i dont want something like 4% grades to traverse the loop. Plus the town of Cliente has always intrigued me.

thanks
Austin

i see a few things that could improve your layout.

1) there looks to be a not many spurs to drop freight off at.(as mentioned)
2) you can add 2 reverse loops that may help you run 2 trains at once? or hump the yard work.

So does your layout run from Bakersfield back to Bakersfield? Why not have it go from Bakersfield to Tehachapi? You could then have at least a small loop in the middle to simulate the real thing and use a view block to separate Bakersfield from Tehachapi. You don't have to actually reproduce the 4% gradeIt would be much more like the real thing and add some interest to an area that's otherwise pretty desolate.

i think imma keep it the same and then just add like 2 or 3 more industries along the line. and a 1 or 2 grade crossings would be nice too.

thanks
Austin

Back