Help needed for loco.....

Steve

Hey to all,
I'm new to this forum so bear with me if this topic has been covered before. I've recently gotten back into this hobby and I'm in the throws of building another layout. I've got my track laid and control panels wired, my trains are in operation once again. I have discovered a problem with one of my locos and need some input. The engine is a Proto 2000 GP7. I bought it a few years back and it has basically never been ran more than an hour total. And that is being generous. It has just sat on a shelf for three or four years now. When it last ran there were no issues. Now it has a definite thump as it goes down the track. It looks to have a wheel that's out of round. How can something like this happen when it has just sat for a few years? It's never been dropped and it's been handled very little. Is this something common with this brand (LifeLike) of loco? Should I try and order a new truck for it or maybe send it back for repair? Have any of you had this problem before and what would you do. Thanks in advance for any help/advise.

Steve

proto 2000 are prone to craked gears sounds like that is what you have.call walthers and they will send a replacment.

thanks Dave. After some investigation I've found three cracked gears and one that has a chip in it. I'll get them replaced asap. Thanks again.

Steve

Back