Help me ID this Shell

fire28

Can someone identify this shell for me? I received it in the mail today. It says a GP38-2 but doesn't look like the other GP38-2's I have.

DSC00626.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

Thanks
Tim

GP-40? I'm not up on 2nd & 3rd & 4th generation die-easels. I can barely ID 1st gens. I keep looking for the the place where ya load the coal!

Athearn GP 50/ non dynamic
It has the conical rear fans. BB GP40's have flatter fans.
Also the anti-climbers are different.

BUMP

Here another one I got off ebay in a "Junk Lot" Looks like it fits a Athearn BB SW7/S12 "Guts" but what is it actually?

DSC00628.jpg

DSC00630.jpg

DSC00629.jpg

Thanks
Tim

The second one is an Athearn SW7 but Athearn incorrectly labeled it an SW1500 when they released it in the 70's. Someone did some detailing to it though. Funny thing about the GP50 being in a GP38-2 box though. One of my clients at work (in Jamaica) has several locomotives rebuilt by NRE (National Railway Equipment in Illinois) that are GP38-3's, but are in old GP50 bodies built from CNW GP50's (and had dynamic brakes added by NRE). The middle of the rear 3 fans was removed and plated over as well. So *technically* if you removed the three rear radiator fans, added a styrene blank over the area and put two of the three fans back on, you *could* have a GP38-3.

Yep. Look at the louvers on the side, that is the difference externally between an SW1200 and an SW7. It's an Athearn, which is an SW7.

Not to say you couldn't do it up as an SW1200 with a few minor changes. In fact, they are so similar, if I was going to do a specific SW1200 (used to work on a POS one several years ago at a local shortline), I'd just detail, paint and decal that particular shell and use it as is. You'd really have to look close and know what you're looking for to tell the difference.

Back