Help! Japanese 0-4-0 problem(s)

thebigj55

I recently acquired this little 0-4-0 presuming it was not running. Sure enough a gear is missing that transfers power from the motor to the wheels(problem 1) also the engine has no pickups for powering the motor(Problem 2). How should I approach this? I was thinking of using a tender of sorts. the engine is marked "japan" i didn't find it online except for a passed Ebay auction.
here is some pics:
View attachment 29712
View attachment 29713
View attachment 29714
View attachment 29715

I recently acquired this little 0-4-0 presuming it was not running. Sure enough a gear is missing that transfers power from the motor to the wheels(problem 1) also the engine has no pickups for powering the motor(Problem 2). How should I approach this? I was thinking of using a tender of sorts. the engine is marked "japan" i didn't find it online except for a passed Ebay auction.
here is some pics:
View attachment 29712
View attachment 29713
View attachment 29714
View attachment 29715
You might try Northwest Short line. The motor looks like a old KMT. Can you tell if the motor is grounded to the frame? There should be a hole for the pin for the drawbar if there was a tender. Any stamping as to the maker? Phil

There was a drawbar with pin. I went back to the LHS and found what I believe to be the corresponding tender. The only stamped piece marked was the bottom of the 0-4-0. it was stamped with "Japan". Im not sure what grounding consists of. the two wires on the reverse of the motor are cut.

There was a drawbar with pin. I went back to the LHS and found what I believe to be the corresponding tender. The only stamped piece marked was the bottom of the 0-4-0. it was stamped with "Japan". Im not sure what grounding consists of. the two wires on the reverse of the motor are cut.

One wire from the motor goes to the right side drivers, assuming they are insulated. The other will go to the pin for the drawbar. Most metal steam engines picked up power from the right side on the engine and the left side on the tender. You'll have to play with the wires to figure out which one is correct for your travel or settle for a locomotive that runs in the opposite direction than the rest of your fleet. Phil

The LHS has the 0-4-0 now they are trying to find a fitting worm gear. If they can't find one and I look online how can I tell if it will fit. Thank you so much for the help so far-John

The LHS has the 0-4-0 now they are trying to find a fitting worm gear. If they can't find one and I look online how can I tell if it will fit. Thank you so much for the help so far-John

You have to match the gear to the worm. And the worm to what the diameter of the motor shaft. The other option (yuck) would be to replace or upgrade the gear and worm set with a NWSL set. Do you know the number of teeth and pitch to the gear? Phil

Back