Help! HOn3 folks.

Pipestretcher

I have the opportunity to purchase a DRGW 282 brass loco. The problem is this: it is in the original box sold by Sunset models, but the markings on the box are printed as Hn03 rather than HOn3. So far the only explanation is that it's a misprint. Is anyone out there familiar with this issue? Thanks in advance!

Bryan

I recently bought a United HON3 K27 mud hen, quite a beautiful little engine. It ran ok after breaking in and some new lube, but not letting that stand I have remotored it with a NWSL can motor. For the motor mount I printed a (3D) cradle and the drive connection is quite simple as it used a short flex tube connection to the gearing. Next project is to convert to DCC, however sound will likely be out as the tender does not appear to be able to be disassembled.

Good luck wit your new Loco!

I recently bought a United HON3 K27 mud hen, quite a beautiful little engine. It ran ok after breaking in and some new lube, but not letting that stand I have remotored it with a NWSL can motor. For the motor mount I printed a (3D) cradle and the drive connection is quite simple as it used a short flex tube connection to the gearing. Next project is to convert to DCC, however sound will likely be out as the tender does not appear to be able to be disassembled.

Good luck wit your new Loco!
K-27's look awesome going down the track as they sit so low. I had DCC w/sound installed in my United K-27. The speaker is in the tender, plenty loud enough to hear without holes being drilled in the bottom.

Any idea how the tender can come apart? I don't want to de solder anything (It's nicely painted)

Dave: Thank you for the info! I have made a 3D copy of this tender which I will probably use with my old Roundhouse 2-8-0 as I don't see a way to get that tender apart either. I did see those two screws but was hesitant to detach something internally by accident.

Last edited:
From what I see there are two screws, one next to each truck. According to notes from the installer regarding the tender, he removed half the weight that was originally in the tender, installed a 13x16 speaker, a keep alive circuit, extra pickup wipers and a rear SMT LED in the tender light.

Attachments

• K27 tender.JPG
    K27 tender.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 71
Dave:

Thanks for the info, for some reason I wasn't able to type a reply but only edit the above. My wire and tools finally arrived and I may be able to get going on this loco. Will just start out with DCC and see later about sound and whatnot, as I have two Blackstone K-27s with all the fixings.

Cheers: Tom

Back