help - HO PRR K4 BTL - Traction bands

eddie

The locomotive came with two traction bands in a ackge - does anyone know which wheels these should be placed on? The locomotive has three pair of large driving wheels.Thanks!

I would place them on the centre drivers....but I haven't bothered and run mine just fine on my 3% grades....it's a heavy engine being metal.

The reason I'd put them on the middle set of drivers is that you need good and constant traction and contact with the rails to get power. The outer axles are more likely t have contact during travere of slightly uneven track, whereas if the middle axle has the driver set high-centred on a high point, the only contact for power purposes will be behind the engine on the tender axles. If they are going over dirty track, uneven track, or a longish frog, you are hooped.

On the other hand, placing the driving bands on one of the outside axles might improve their grip considerably. I would favour the rear set since I believe that is where most of the weight is found.

BTW, if you have a small package with two oval rubber rings, black ones, and they are not currently on a set of extra drivers already, you are missing the extra set of drivers that have their tires grooved to accept the driving bands. Each such BLI locomotive that I have with the bands included has them already on a set of extra drivers.

As I said, my K4s came with the extra drivers in a separate package included in the box, and I have never felt the need to install them. The engine works fine without them. Mind you, I don't pull long trains on my layout.

Back