HELP. Digitrax DH165AO using LED lights

NIKO_SUAV3

Hello,

So I'm kinda stumped on this. As I had posted on my other thread I bought a Digitrax DH165AO to drop into my old Athearn Genesis SD75M in place of the stock DC light board. I tested it before hand and noticed about half the lights were dead, so I decided to wire in some LEDs while I had the whole thing apart and picked up some by Miniatronics for the Ditch and headlights at the LHS.

Well dropped in the decoder and was testing as I went, so pickup and drive work just fine. However when I got to wiring in the LEDs they all work except the front headlight which is wired to the FOF and FOF+. The rear lights work fine and they are wired to FOR and FOR+. Just of note I did use 470 ohm 1/4 watt resistors with the LEDs.

So what happens is the front light stays light constantly from the moment the trucks meet the track. The rear lights functions 100%, and I have control directionaly with FO. When in reverse the the front light is lit dimly, but dims even more when I hit F0.... Well Ive included a couple of Pics below but other than that im at the end of my rope as far asknowledge and hoping someone with a higher wiring/DCC IQ can bail me out. Thanks!

image1 (2).jpgimage1 (3).JPGimage2 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The light output of the board may be damaged. I have two Tsunami decoders that do the same thing. Originally, I either shorted the outputs, or connected too large a load on the circuit, and they have been that way ever since. The decoders still work otherwise, and I don't want to replace them just for that.
What you can do, is remap the headlight function to one of the other outputs, and use that instead of the headlight output.

Is it possible to flip the programming of FOF and FOR so that FOR would could work when not in reverse? I guess I wouldn't mind too much not having a rear headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible to flip the programming of FOF and FOR so that FOR would could work when not in reverse? I guess I wouldn't mind too much not having a rear headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can. It's in the CV49-52 range, Rule 17 lighting. Look to Digitrax for the proper value for them. It will be on when you turn it on, and you can dim it with a function key.

So now I am completely stumped, I set CV50 (rear light) to few options to be controlled when 'Forward" ie. 0 & 64, or even 'No directional effect" 32 & 48 yet the rear light still will not light when hitting FO in a direction of "Forward.... what am I doing wrong?

Reached out to Digitrax Customer Support today and after some troubleshooting it looks like they determined there was a problem with the transistor that controls the front light. So I guess the next step is for me to mail this into Digitrax....

Back