Help!!!!!confused!!!!

sd-26 chris

:confused: Hi guys, I just bought an atlas silver series guilford sd-35 from a hobby shop. It is mint but the previous owner installed a DCC decoder in it. I only run with DC, so i can't get the locomotive to move. Do I have to rip it apart and put in a dummy plug???? I don't know what to do.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I pulled open the shell and found a digitrax DZ143 decoder in it...... the locomotive does not have it's dummy plug. I tried to run the engine with out the decoder in it and no dummy plug. It did nothing. :mad:

These should be dual mode decoders, and it sounds like the dual mode is turned off. If you know of anyone in your area that has DCC maybe you could get them to turn the dual mode back on. Your LHS maybe could do it if they sell DCC.

Never mind, I'm returning it.... it's used, has a DCC only decoder and it does not have it's original dummy plug. SO I CAN'T RUN IT!!!!!!!!!!

Someone has a shit load of explaining to do.:mad: And the previous owner tried to hide it up and make it look brand new!!!!!!!!

I called the hobby shop and it turns out he ordered it from atlas, then shipped it out to a company that inserts these things. He bought a DCC decoder only. So i am getting my money back. DCC is scary, not my thing :p I'm glad to straighten everything out. :cool:

I would wonder why someone would buy something from a hobby shop without giving it a test drive. That's where I would look for the initial explaining.
but all in all, just take it back and get your money back and be more careful with your future purchases. Caveat emptor, as you had the opportunity to completely explore the locomotive before you purchased it. If you saw the decoder and didn't question it, then I would think you accepted the problems it would cause. If you completely ignored the contents without removing the shell, then once again, you accepted responsibility for contents or lack of contents. It would only be by the grace of the vendor that he would give you back your money. Other than that, If he didn't actively conceal the presence of a decoder in the locomotive, he would be full within his rights to tell you to take a hike and to take your new locomotive with you, especially with the attitude of someone having to explain themselves.

The 8 pin dummy plugs are just electrical jumpers, it would have been easy to just get another one or just make the jumps with wire. I am certain there is someone reading this who has converted many locomotives and has piles of the plugs sitting around.

:confused::confused:Your statements make no sense. First, you say you bought this from a hobby shop, then you say it's used, you talk about the previous owner, then say the hobby shop ordered it from Atlas and sent it out to have a decoder installed, then you say it's used, then you talk about the previous owner again, then talk about the hobby shop.:confused::confused: So, is it new, is it used, did you buy it from somebody, was it mail order, did you get it in person?

I second that. There are very young people on here as well.

I third(?) this.

The 8 pin dummy plugs are just electrical jumpers, it would have been easy to just get another one or just make the jumps with wire. I am certain there is someone reading this who has converted many locomotives and has piles of the plugs sitting around.

I agree 100% with Iron on this. Ask around. Be patient. There was a measly 1 hour 48 minutes between "I got a new loco, but it doesn't work" and "Im taking it back to the LHS!". It took me about 10 seconds to google: "how to make an 8 PIN DCC plug". You found the decoder information, so you know how to search for info.

So... this is a learning experience for you because, from now own, I'm hoping you 'test drive' the locos you buy from the LHS. (Wouldn't by a car without a test drive...) If you choose not to, then you really don't have the right to blame the LHS owner. That's just not fair. Take accountability for your own choices or this is going to be one frustrating and expensive hobby for ya :(

Every obsticle is a chance to learn a skill. In this particular case, the skill is 'How to make an 8 pin DCC Plug' :)

Based on this image:

http://www.mrdccu.com/_Media/nem652_nmra_8-pin_wiring.jpeg

It seems it would be as simple as connecting Pin 4 to Pin 5, and Pin 1 to Pin 8. Done.

:confused::confused:Your statements make no sense. First, you say you bought this from a hobby shop, then you say it's used, you talk about the previous owner, then say the hobby shop ordered it from Atlas and sent it out to have a decoder installed, then you say it's used, then you talk about the previous owner again, then talk about the hobby shop.:confused::confused: So, is it new, is it used, did you buy it from somebody, was it mail order, did you get it in person?

It's possible to buy things used from a hobby shop.

It's possible to buy things used from a hobby shop.

Very true. Though in one post it is indicated the hobby shop special ordered the engine from Atlas. That to me would mean new.

Edit: in other posts, the previous owner is talked about, which would mean used. Hence, confusion reigns...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some hobby shops cant be trusted, the guy who ran the shop here in bismarck was kind of shady and sold some stuff advertised as new but had one of the drive shafts removed and clear evidence of glue added inside the screw hole of the knuckle for some kind of repair, hes out of business now.

Back