Help choosing 9-pin decoder

Rusty_08

Hello,

I recently purchased a DCC ready locomotive with a 9 pin plug. I am having issues trying to find a suitable decoder with sound. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

That's the white connector with all pins in a straight line, not two rows, right?
The Digitrax decoders are 9 pin on the board and then the 8 pin connector is plugged into that with the harness. I think the Tsunami decoders have the 9 pin connector on them too.
What brand loco did you buy?

To give you the best answer, we really need more information.

-What scale?
-What locomotive and manufacturer? It sounds like you've got an Athearn?
-How realistic do you want the sound to be? An exact match for the type of locomotive and prime mover, or are you content with "generic" diesel or steam locomotive sounds?
-Do you have experience installing DCC, i.e. soldering connections? Most DCC sound decoders do not have speakers attached; you will need to get a speaker and attach it to the decoder yourself. However, there are a few that include pre-wired speakers, such as from Digitrax. Do you need pre-wired speakers?
-Do you know if your locomotive's lightbulbs (headlights) are compatible with DCC? Check the instructions if you're not sure what we're talking about here.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many current production 9-pin harness decoders that include sound. I think TCS makes one, possibly also Digitrax. Another option is to get an adapter. For example, Soundtraxx has a 9-pin to 21-pin adapter that would allow you to use one of their modern 21-pin decoders with your locomotive.

However you would still need to attach a speaker.

Last edited:
To give you the best answer, we really need more information.

-What scale?
-What locomotive and manufacturer? It sounds like you've got an Athearn?
-How realistic do you want the sound to be? An exact match for the type of locomotive and prime mover, or are you content with "generic" diesel or steam locomotive sounds?
-Do you have experience installing DCC, i.e. soldering connections? Most DCC sound decoders do not have speakers attached; you will need to get a speaker and attach it to the decoder yourself. However, there are a few that include pre-wired speakers, such as from Digitrax. Do you need pre-wired speakers?
-Do you know if your locomotive's lightbulbs (headlights) are compatible with DCC? Check the instructions if you're not sure what we're talking about here.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many current production 9-pin harness decoders that include sound. I think TCS makes one, possibly also Digitrax. Another option is to get an adapter. For example, Soundtraxx has a 9-pin to 21-pin adapter that would allow you to use one of their modern 21-pin decoders with your locomotive.

However you would still need to attach a speaker.
Appreciate the reply. HO scale. I can solder but have never done a decoder. I think I have settled on a 9-pin Digitrax, seems like the easiest route. Thanks again.

Ok, good luck to you. Just be aware, from what I can see looking at the Digitrax website, none of their current production sound decoders appear to have 9-pin harnesses.

Ok, good luck to you. Just be aware, from what I can see looking at the Digitrax website, none of their current production sound decoders appear to have 9-pin harnesses.
You can see the 8 pin plug they put on the harness. Look at the other end of that harness, a white connector with 9 plugs in it. Look at the plug end of the decoder, right on the printed circuit board, a white strip 9 pin connector.

You can see the 8 pin plug they put on the harness. Look at the other end of that harness, a white connector with 9 plugs in it. Look at the plug end of the decoder, right on the printed circuit board, a white strip 9 pin connector.

Ah ha. I have to admit I didn't know that end of the harness could be removed from the circuit board like that. Good to know.

Back