Hello From Ontario

Canadian Roads

Hello everybody. Returning to the hobby after an absence of some 40 years. What's new? :D I was heavy into model railroading as a teenager. Had an operating 4x8 for a few years.

I grew up in suburban Montreal during the 60's and early 70's. Both the CN and CP mainlines passed by the bottom of my street less than 200 yards away. You could set your watch by the time CP's crack transcontinental train "The Canadian" went by each day. I became fascinated with trains. Life happened and my interests changed to other things. My passion for model railroading waned but never entirely disappeared. Resurrected from time to time only to be ultimately quashed by time or space constraints.

With pending retirement, or at least semi-retirement looming, I've decided to re-enter the hobby. Within the year we'll be moving to Northern Ontario to a home with a huge basement, ideal for at least a small empire! I plan to model the area around Golden BC not far from the famed CP spiral tunnels through the Rockies. Incorporating this wonder, or at least a representation of it, will take some careful planning. The road will be loosely based on the transition era. Of course, poetic license will be in full force as the situation requires to allow other interesting equipment from foreign and distant railroads. How else could you explain a modern day GO Transit train in BC? I know GO commuter service is expanding but that's a bit of stretch! Anyhow, the move is still a ways off so that will allow me to get up to speed on things, do lots of planning and even start acquiring some models. I'm glad this forum exists and plan to use it as a resource of knowledge and advice. I'll be sure to document everything step by step and share. Talk soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I, too, want it all. I want a nice layout, some modelling, and to freelance. So, I have a hodge-podge of locomotives, rolling stock, signals, structures, bridges....I'm all over the place. Sort of like where I have lived.:D

What's new in the last 40 years?? Not that much really.
Holy smokes... who am I kidding?
Sit back with a glass of your favorite fluid and start digging, it's a whole new ball game these days!
Welcome aboard from your neighbour to the West!

Welcome back to the hobby. Like you, I also returned to the hobby after a long hiatus. Find someone local or even a club where you can get help sorting out all the changes in the hobby. I model freelance logging and CP in the transition era and lucked out in finding a modeller locally with similar interests.

Good luck and have fun.

Roy

Back