Hello from Calgary AB

SD90

Hello everyone! I was into model railroading quite heavy a few years ago, N scale, and have since sold EVERYTHING. After a few years, I am of course getting the itch again, but this time, HO scale. If and when I start another layout, it will be in my basement, (30'x32') but I'm going to have to do an around the wall layout, double or maybe even triple deck. I really want to model the Spiral Tunnels again as a way to get between levels, instead of building a helix.
It will be a modern DCC mainline layout designed for operations with lots of switching and industry.
I'll be looking around at everyones layout pictures to get an idea of what's changed in the last 8 or so years!

Hey I was just in Calgary a few weeks back for Supertrain, talk about railroading overload! Didn't even see everything there in one day. Sunday it was off to the Gap with a bucket of chicken and a cooler of bevies!

Well there's been lots of changes in the last eight years for sure. I think the biggest is the introduction of Ring Engineering's "Railpro" system. Check it out before you get any further, I'll be switching over later this year.

Welcome to the forums by the way, best place around for info and ideas!

Welcome aboard SD90. This is a great forum with the friendliest members. I am sure you will like it. Drop into the "Running Bear's Coffee Shop" sometimes for general bull talk and idle chat. Looking forward to your layout discussions and your progress as you make it.

Willie

Welcome to the forum neighbor. Welcome.gif Sounds like you'll have plenty of space to build a nice layout. I had a fairly large N scale layout years ago that I tore out to build my HO scale layout. I find that there is so much more available in HO vs N scale. Waiting to see what you come up with.

I really want to model the Spiral Tunnels again as a way to get between levels, instead of building a helix.
It will be a modern DCC mainline layout designed for operations with lots of switching and industry.
I'll be looking around at everyones layout pictures to get an idea of what's changed in the last 8 or so years!
Not really much has changed in the last 8 years except for maybe the rise of the Rapido company in Canada. You should now be able to find more variety and better quality Canadian models because of them.

I'm trying to think of the closest industry and switching to Kicking Horse. Are you thinking of going to go east to Calgary, or west to Kamloops?

Thanks everyone! I checked out RailPro, it looks very easy to use and modern! My last layout used DigiTrax, so I was going to stick with that, but this RailPro might be a good replacement. The only down side I see is when you have an op session, it will get expensive to buy throttles for everyone at 300 each. Everyone I know uses DigiTrax.

Revelstoke has a fairly good size yard and engine facility. We were up there a few years ago and really enjoyed the railroad museum there. The scenery east towards Calgary is breathtaking and the tunnel that goes in a circle west of Lake Louise could be an interesting thing to model. We were lucky enough to have seen a passenger train go through there. There's also Vernon and Kelowna south east of Kamloops, but not a lot of industry in that area.

If you have Digitrax already you can add just one throttle for now, more down the road.
Railpro works with DCC or DC.
I'll be getting two then slowly converting, after running on a friend's layout with that system I'm hooked!

Anyway enough of that, you have a lot to work out as it is!
As stated earlier on there's quite a few new manufacturers and lots of cool loco's, cars, and accessories to discover!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have Digitrax already you can add just one throttle for now, more down the road.
Railpro works with DCC or DC.
I'll be getting two then slowly converting, after running on a friend's layout with that system I'm hooked!
QUOTE]

I have nothing, starting over from scratch! That's why I'm looking at RailPro and switching scales! I never liked the DigiTrax interface, it was almost like a hobby within a hobby figuring it out.

Back