Hello from an Absolute Beginner!

Hello everyone! I hail from Indiana and I am literally just beginning my first model railroad. It is something I have dreamed of for many years and I am excited to finally get started. That being said, please excuse my stupid questions in advance. :)

Welcome! We all started at the beginning so there is no issue with any and all questions you may have! Fire away we are all here to help! It's your RR so do as you wish!

Last edited:
Hey John...welcome to the forum! Glad you could make it! So what are your thoughts on the type of railroad you want to model? I'm in HO, transition era, ( a lot of people model this era), I'm modeling a logging RR & a freight RR.

Hey John...welcome to the forum! Glad you could make it! So what are your thoughts on the type of railroad you want to model? I'm in HO, transition era, ( a lot of people model this era), I'm modeling a logging RR & a freight RR.

Hello to all and thanks again for the warm welcome!

I plan on modeling HO scale and what I call modern. I will not be trying to copy any specific prototype of era. Hopefully that does not offend anyone that does the amazingly challenging work of modelling specific era's, areas and railroads. My plan is to have realistic looking scenery and trains, but not be concerned about replicating anything specifically. I will be influenced by the fact that my Grandfather worked on the L&N, (steam era) and the fact that I live 20 minutes from Louisville and the old L&N train station which is absolutely gorgeous by the way and by CSX, strong in the area and other trains that ran in Indiana, including the Monon. Initially I will be hauling freight, lumber and coal, but I want to incorporate a passenger train at some point in my layout.

That is the plan, but I am sure it will take a detour or two as I begin the fun of turning the dream into a reality. As I am also "Consistently Inconsistent!"

Beginning, John, is never the hard part of model railroading, take it from me. Ending is when the difficulties really reveal themselves. So, take heed of the dangerous path upon which you've set yourself and prepare to experience the full gamut of the human condition. You have been warned. Buckle up pardner.

Greetings and Welcome....

Sounds like you're an advanced beginner if you have an idea of what you want to model!

Back