Hello, Everyone

NIKO_SUAV3

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and semi-new to the hobby. My dad built me a small 4x8 layout when I was a kid and I've kinda been captivated with trains ever since. Finished up with all my schooling a couple years ago, and ended up getting a job and moving to Kansas City. Anyway, being here in KC trains are everywhere(I dive by a yard or two on my commute to and from work everyday) and it got me wanting to start up a layout of my own again, . Finally moved into a house not to long ago and my wife let me take over an 11'x11' nook in the basement, so now that I have the space the time has come for me to get back into Model Railroading. I recently had the opportunity to buy a good lot of code 83 track, and I have a couple of locos I've picked up over the past 10 years (Both Athearn Genesis BNSF units). Im looking forward to getting underway on this, and this looks like an awesome place to pick up some ticks and tricks as I figure my way through this build and get to know some folks.

Nick

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. It's good to see new blood getting into the hobby. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. There are decades of experience here at the forum and I'm sure you can find any answers if you have one.

CHET

Welcome to the Forum. On my last trip to KC we visited the old stockyards and ate at a Steak House down there.

Look forward to your participation!

G'day Nick....RIGHT ON ALL COUNTS...I like how you think and by joining this amazing , friendly , educating and intoxicating forum you've made a GREAT CHOICE.. I promise you by joing the THE FORUM (and I do mean THE ) you won't need to go anywhere else..It's all here...Great to have you with us..Cheers from Australia....Rod...

Anyway, being here in KC trains are everywhere(I dive by a yard or two on my commute to and from work everyday) and it got me wanting to start up a layout of my own again, .... I have a couple of locos I've picked up over the past 10 years (Both Athearn Genesis BNSF units).
The big KC and BNSF is a pretty good combination. If you want to model a yard you've got the granddaddy Argentine Yard (former Santa Fe), the Murray Yard (former CB&Q), the Rosedale and 19th street yards (former Frisco) to work with.

Thanks Guys! still working my way through the design of my layout, but I am definitely excited to have that much space. However I don't know whether or not I want to have something that allows for some continuous running, or maybe doing something that is point to point. I also am in a dilemma as far as the era I want to model. I'm sure that I want to do either Santa Fe or BNSF (Its something about that warbonnet scheme), but I am concerned that the more modern power wont look/work as well if with tighter turns. Though I already have a head start with the two BNSF SD75Ms I have.... decisions decisions..

Thanks Guys! still working my way through the design of my layout, but I am definitely excited to have that much space. However I don't know whether or not I want to have something that allows for some continuous running, or maybe doing something that is point to point. I also am in a dilemma as far as the era I want to model. I'm sure that I want to do either Santa Fe or BNSF (Its something about that warbonnet scheme), but I am concerned that the more modern power wont look/work as well if with tighter turns. Though I already have a head start with the two BNSF SD75Ms I have.... decisions decisions..
I would not let two locos dictate my decisions. In the big scheme of things that is not much of deal breaker. Are the BNSF SD75s in the pumpkin paint job?

I agree with Iron Horseman. I think a Chinese red (CB&Q) GP or SD would make a great alternative to the modern stuff. OK, I may be a little bit biased, so if you didn't want to go that far back Cascade green BN units would be acceptable. :)

Are the BNSF SD75s in the pumpkin paint job?

I do have one unit that is in the heritage II scheme, and one that is the Santa Fe Warbonnet scheme.(this is one I just got done detailing that is in my avatar pic)

IMG_0223.JPG

As far as what era I would like to go back to, that I cant decide. The paint scheme I grew up seeing is the blue and yellow Santa Fe freight scheme. In fact a couple GP50s in that scheme were the two locos I had on my layout my dad and I had when I was a kid. Then again, I think the EMD F7 is about as cool a diesel as there is haha, and I love them in the Santa Fe Catwhisker and Warbonnet schemes. Anyway this is the layout that I have plans for at them moment, it will be primarily 22" curves, so that is my concern with the SD75s (along with the equipment they will be pulling).

$_12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have access from all sides? Otherwise you will have features that you need to crawl on top of the bench work to get to. 22" curves should work for most modern equipment. There are probably exceptions to that rule. Overhang might be a major issue. The distance between parallel curved tracks might need increased.

Yea that's a good point as far as access, I was concerned with the corner where the two 4x8s meet. I think I might try to adapt this into a "U" shaped layout that will run on three walls of my 11x11 room.

As far as table width, is there a recommended width? I was think of about 2ft? Though I don't know if that is too much?

Also if I wanted to have something continuously run I'd probably need a reverse loop at each end?

I've never really worked on a switching layout, but I imagine that would be suitable in a point to point layout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally 30" is about the max comfortable reach for most people. You can fit loops at each end to have a continuous run if you make them 24" radius. I would recommend against making reverse loops the only option. My current layout is reverse loop to reverse loop and its annoying to flip switches constantly when you just want to highball. You can add a branchline or industrial railroad to increase the switching opportunities. Don't forget cars have to come from somewhere,(staging, yard or interchange).

Remember that a 24" radius (measured to the track centreline) will require at least 52" of baseboard width, more preferably.

Thanks for the info Guys! Its much appreciated. I am in the process of working out a new layout plan, and I cant quite land on something I like. I know there are a few scenes Id like to incorporate into the plan, but every time I think I'm going somewhere it seems like I hit a dead end.

Currently I have a reverse loop at one end of the "U" with the plan on adding a yard of sorts at the other, and perhaps a small staging yard beyond that at some point as I accumulate more locomotives and rolling stock. Ill start up a new thread here when I think I have a design I'm ready to get some feedback on. Thanks again, and enjoy the Holiday weekend!

Just posted my plan thus far in another thread for some thoughts and opinions. Im certain it isnt the final draft, but I hope its a good starting point.

Here it is

also love how "nook" was auto added as a hyperlink to the Barnes & Noble eReader hahaha

Back