Hello Everyone Newbie Here

crazybout4449

Hello All,
I am just getting back into this after many years away. You know the normal story, dad promised to help build a layout and we got as far as the tables and that is all. He is a sports guy I am a gear head, so that is what you get. That being said, I have just finished erecting two 4'x8' tables and attached the 3'x5' original layout I inherited which has caused this rekindling...... So, I have a u shaped base to start with, but the open space is a 4x8 directly in front of me and a 4x8 to my left. The goal here is a passenger line (Daylight 4449) and then freight back and forth across the entire layout. I would like to add multiple bridges, in and out of mountains, water, a mine, lumber etc. THe decorating I will obviously do after but I need a track plan. I am running N scale by the way......

Hi Crazy, how about cutting up your 4'x8' and make something like this? http://hogrr.blogspot.com/

Just curious Tim, why do you post this layout every time someone asks for layout help? I usually click links just to follow the thread to its fullest, and I KNOW I have opened that HOG page a couple dozen times. Probably more. Almost every one of your posts is a simple spam of that site. Just curious??

Oh, and welcome aboard crazy. Good to have you. I am an avid gear head as well ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems almost spammy. I have seen it posted a number of times and most of the times it doesn't make sense to post a link to it. Weird.

Hey Nscaler, I mention the HOG site because many think a 4'x8' is the only way to go. With the detail instructions this site gives on building the framework I hope to give people an alternative that may fit their space and needs better. It can be modified in many ways to fit the needs of the modelers. With the details given it may not seem so daunting to first timers.

What do you tell people that ask for railroad layout ideas?

Hey crazy, welcome to the forum!

I think you'll find this site is a great resource for knowledge and help when you need it. There are also enough topics to keep your interests up even when you're not actively building/modeling.

I like the sound of your table space so far. That is a huge amount of space to work with. What scale will you be modeling?

Back