Hello and thanks

Lightstorm

This is my first time posting, but I've followed this forum for well over a year. I have read many interesting discussions and learned many things from all the great members of this community. Many of the posts in the forums here have been helpful if not inspiring. Thank you for such a great place to find answers and feedback on our great hobby.

A little about me. I've been hooked on model railroading almost as long as I can remember. I had my first layout when I was very young and have been collecting and modeling off and on over the years. I'm now 31, living in Oregon, with kids of my own and I'm hoping to pass the enjoyment on to them as well.

In my teenage years my younger brother and I took over our parents garage and built a 10'x12' L-shape HO layout for running trains. Sadly that layout is long since gone as the space was needed for other projects once we both move out. For years model railroading was a difficult hobby to follow as the LHS closed and there was no place local to find MRR supplies.

Without a layout and a local hobby store my interests went elsewhere for a few years. I tried different hobbies, changed jobs several times, got married, had kids and all the important things most people do in life. But railroading always drew me back somehow. Every time I've had to wait for a train at the crossing or heard the horns across town made me want to model it.

Recently we've had a new LHS open and it as well as finding these forums have renewed and bolstered my interest in the hobby. I've even found out that the local model railroad club is still around and I've been invited to check it out and plan to when work doesn't interfere with the club meetings. Years ago they had a huge layout at our fairgrounds that I would go see every fair week.

My own collection is still fairly small. I've got 5 engines, all older Athearn Blue Box, that I've converted to DCC. And I have about 25 rolling stock, many are older kits, Athearn BB, Roundhouse, Accurail, and various other kits. I've only recently picked up a few RTR cars and I'm actually amazed at the quality.

I have very limited space now, living in an apartment with my wife and daughter, and another on the way. With the space limitation I don't have a layout, but I have been working on dioramas, tinkering on my engines, and I'm also planning to try some weathering techniques on some of my older box cars. I do occasionally invade the dining room table, throwing a felt sheet down and putting an oval of track together to play with my trains, at least till the wife wants her table back.

Much has definitely changed since my childhood and I've learned much from reading discussions here on these forums. I hope to start sharing my own experiences as well and somebody else can learn what I've learned.

Again, hello and thank you to the community here for all the great advice and information you all provide.

Brian F

Thanks for posting such a positive introductory series of remarks, Brian. You are most welcome here if I have a say at all.

Crandell

Welcome aboard Brian. I'm like you, I don't have room for a layout either. But I build engines and collect everything I'll need for the day I can have one again. There's a great bunch of people on this forum, your in good company.

Welcome Brian! You've come to a helpful friendly place, you'll like it here. Oh, we love pictures!

Back