Helicopter Photography

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Took a ride over my Empire today & this is what I took pictures of. Clear day.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a bunch more to show. Here's the 2nd set. Still clear up here.:)

Here's the 3rd set. Only about 30 to go.:D

Just kidding--Just 3 left. had to land, looks like a storm coming over the mountain.:eek:

I was looking over KZ9's collection & he has about the same amount of stuff I had back in the late 80's(1983 to 89). Back then I traded 177 HotWheels for $3,000.00 worth of brand new train stuff. There was Atlas, Kato, Stewart, Athearn, Bachmann Plus, Bachmann Spectrum & much more just in engines. I had 60 diesels, 15 steam & some electrics. Then there was 365 pcs. of rolling stock & everything had kadee's. Everything was in the original box packed w/foam. Then there were stacks of books, track & scenery stuff. This guy had been collecting this stuff for many years. He had a giant walk-in closet full.
Then in about 1989 I bought out a closed hobby shop. There was N, HO, S, O, O27 & G scale stuff. Mostly buildings & some more rolling stock. I went to a train show & sold everything except the HO scale & tripled my money for what I paid for it. I got about 35 kits for mine. Another 16 Con-Cor passenger cars. Then in 2004 I bought a giant train layout w/all rolling stock & stuff. Paid $150.00. There was 2 cases of Atlas NS flex sealed up, 8 cases of cork roadbed, a MRC 9500 transformer & 3 other MRC transformers all new in their boxes. Plus I got about 25 buildings all new & unbuilt.
In 2006 I bought 15 boxes of HO scale train stuff & almost all of it was new for $75.00. A friend sold a bunch of mint Lionel catalogs from the 30's that were in those boxes for about $2000.00 on Ebay.
Now, after all these years I'm trying to sell my accumalation. I will be 72 yrs. young this year & me & the wife are getting rid of stuff by the truck loads. We've had 8 garage sales in 3 years & sold a lot.

I was looking over KZ9's collection & he has about the same amount of stuff I had back in the late 80's(1983 to 89). Back then I traded 177 HotWheels for $3,000.00 worth of brand new train stuff. There was Atlas, Kato, Stewart, Athearn, Bachmann Plus, Bachmann Spectrum & much more just in engines. I had 60 diesels, 15 steam & some electrics. Then there was 365 pcs. of rolling stock & everything had kadee's. Everything was in the original box packed w/foam. Then there were stacks of books, track & scenery stuff. This guy had been collecting this stuff for many years. He had a giant walk-in closet full.
Then in about 1989 I bought out a closed hobby shop. There was N, HO, S, O, O27 & G scale stuff. Mostly buildings & some more rolling stock. I went to a train show & sold everything except the HO scale & tripled my money for what I paid for it. I got about 35 kits for mine. Another 16 Con-Cor passenger cars. Then in 2004 I bought a giant train layout w/all rolling stock & stuff. Paid $150.00. There was 2 cases of Atlas NS flex sealed up, 8 cases of cork roadbed, a MRC 9500 transformer & 3 other MRC transformers all new in their boxes. Plus I got about 25 buildings all new & unbuilt.
In 2006 I bought 15 boxes of HO scale train stuff & almost all of it was new for $75.00. A friend sold a bunch of mint Lionel catalogs from the 30's that were in those boxes for about $2000.00 on Ebay.
Now, after all these years I'm trying to sell my accumalation. I will be 72 yrs. young this year & me & the wife are getting rid of stuff by the truck loads. We've had 8 garage sales in 3 years & sold a lot.

Wow with all that stuff, havent you thought to start your own railway ?:D

My entire basement is that. But the wife is not going to let that happen. I have about 12' x 26'

My entire basement is that. But the wife is not going to let that happen. I have about 12' x 26'

That's why you slowly bribe her with what she likes to do hobby wise. So when you start to take over the whole basement and she's asking what you're trying to do you can simply say, "But we let you redo the whole garden!" :D

Larry - Good to see the overview shots of your layout. Now all I need is the little track plan like MR always includes that show where each picture was taken. That's my favorite pastime with MR is try to mentally tie the photos together. I didn't realize how big your layout was.

Larry - Good to see the overview shots of your layout. Now all I need is the little track plan like MR always includes that show where each picture was taken. That's my favorite pastime with MR is try to mentally tie the photos together. I didn't realize how big your layout was.

Yeah, that would be a good idea. maybe after I get back from vacation(& you remind me) I will tackle that little ditty.:D

Larry,
I was looking at the photos and was thinking how you must have spent a lot of time modeling and having a great time. I hope you future plans with your wife still include time to model if you still feel the desire.
I have a question for you, how did you find the great sales of hobby shops or someone selling a layout that got you such great deals?
Dave

Larry,
I was looking at the photos and was thinking how you must have spent a lot of time modeling and having a great time. I hope you future plans with your wife still include time to model if you still feel the desire.
I have a question for you, how did you find the great sales of hobby shops or someone selling a layout that got you such great deals?
Dave

I advertise all the time in my local shopping guide that has a large circulation in 8 counties around me. It's free & I can run 4 ads at the same time for 4 weeks each. I always run ads wanting train stuff, anyone interested in model railroading, train stuff for sale & anyone want to see a giant train layout.
This winter the newspaper in my town did a front page & a full mid section about my trains w/lots of colored pictures. I got 4 big groups of people everyday from the day before Christmas till the end of March. Some people came 5 or 6 times w/more friends.
I got about 30 contacts w/people that has train stuff they want to sell or give-away. In Nov. I got 3 big boxes of free stuff dropped at my trainroom front door & i don't know who brought it by to this day. It was a lot of old Tyco junk, but they had a good heart.
I'm always pretty lucky w/getting good buys on stuff. Even on Ebay before the prices went way up.
So, a lot of guys here on the forum have been doing the same thing as I do since I told them about free ads about 6 yrs. ago. Try it. Even an ad in your local newspaper where you have to pay for a small ad works.

Wow Larry, I must say you have a crapload of vehicles on your layout :)

Walmart was my primary buys on 1/87th vehicles for about 3 years. I was the 1st person that found them at WM because I worked there & was always checking the toy dept. since that day everyone has loaded up on vehicles. When WM stopped selling them what they had left was super cheap. I bought them by the case for 25 cents ea. I have a lot still in their original packages that I don't have any room for anymore. (NO they're NOT FS):D
I have been doing this for almost 50 years & have accumalated vehicles over those years. I use to never go by a Big Lots w/out checking their toy dept.
That's where a lot of my heavy equip. came from. They use to be a liquidator, not any more.
Kabee toys use to have tons of 1/87th because they to were a liguidator, not anymore.
I still have a collection of regular HotWheels(750) that I haven't sold yet.

This is what happens when the local antique airplane club decides to fly-by when I'm taking pictures of a railroad.

Back