Have there been any attempts to make a satellite map based train sim?

nitinsalvi

Seeing as the new flight simulator is using data from google maps, and the 3d terrain it generates based on its data, how hard would it be to do the same with a train sim? Openrailwaymaps has a ton of data where lines are placed, and I’m sure some algorithms could be made to have the track sections rendered a bit more prettier. Has anyone attempted this yet? It could even be as simple as GEFS

Some time in the early 2000's your Idea was prob tried for MSTS. 2 problems 1 it looked all wrrong at train level. Also MSTS does not account for the curvature of the earth and that skewed the data.

Seeing as the new flight simulator is using data from google maps, and the 3d terrain it generates based on its data, how hard would it be to do the same with a train sim? Openrailwaymaps has a ton of data where lines are placed, and I’m sure some algorithms could be made to have the track sections rendered a bit more prettier. Has anyone attempted this yet? It could even be as simple as GEFS
Our company does that. We make the locomotive simulators the real railroads use for training and certification. We have some of the nations rights of ways programmed in. We have been upgrading the quality of the "scenery" incrementally. The answer is, that it is very difficult to get every sign, crossing, and even the grades correct. But I have told them many times we should repackage it and sell as a video game.

It wouldn't work. The data is only two dimensional. It looks fine from 10,000 feet but not from the ground. You want trees and buildings and related items to be 3D. Some of the big cities do have 3D buildings, but most don't. Also, if your name isn't "Microsoft" (Bing) or Google (Google Maps), you're looking at presumably big licensing fees for the data.

Here's a sample: The colors are good but the details aren't there.

1589072317611.png

Have you seen "Train Sim World? The scenery is very realistic. Fortunately, with a train you only need to model a strip of land. They put in landmark buildings and then use generic buildings.

1589075830334.png

Want to see what Train Sims will look like in 5 years or so? This will blow you away!
None of the repeating patterns that you see everywhere in today's train sims. This scenery looks AMAZING!

Back