Has Atlas Ever Released a GP-9 in HO?

Pacodutaco

Has Atlas Ever Released a GP-9 in HO? I am considering changing to HO from N but I love GP-9's and am curious if Atlas has released them or who is making them currently. I will be using DCC and Sound if I convert. Any info would be appreciated.

Pacodutaco

Go to - www.atlasrr.com . Click on the search button & type GP9 into the box. It will give you a list of all road names Atlas issued & dates. It looks like they did GP7s but no 9s in HO. They were produced in N gauge though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, while the Atlas site only includes locomotives they have done since they put up a web site (1999), I still don't think so. Only GP7s. I know I got a CB&Q Blackbird in 1992 (graduation present for myself) and a Texas and Pacific in 1997 I believe they are both 7s.

Of course you realize the only difference is louvers on the utility boxes. Off the top of my head it seems like a GP7 has 2 boxes with louvers and a GP9 had 3. I can seldom tell the difference unless I put on my rivet counting hat.

Last edited by a moderator:
To tell the difference between the two models of Geeps, you don't count rivets - you count louvres:

GeepSpottingFeatures.gif

Proto 2000 also made some nice GP9's as well and also did the various phases. The Atlas geeps had the walkways and pilots cast in metal as part of the chassis which not only hindered the detail, but also made it hard to correct or add your own details.

Mark.

The Atlas geeps had the walkways and pilots cast in metal as part of the chassis which not only hindered the detail, but also made it hard to correct or add your own details.
Yes, I've fought those pot metal walkways. I think Atlas was still in the mind set of making the best running locomotive when they developed that design. It added weight without raising the center of gravity. I think my first one (the CB&Q blackbird) still came with the Kato drive.

In addition to the louvers, another tell-tale sign between a GP7 and a GP9 is usually the handrails. The GP7 came with cast handrail stanchions with fittings on the top, while the GP9 came with stamped steel stanchions much like all subsequent EMD offerings.

Mark.

About 15 years ago, I managed to squirrel away 4 Proto 2000 GP-9's with the intention of eventually painting them up in late 60's N&W paint schemes along with 2 RS-3's and 2 RS-11's from Atlas all in the same period paint. I never got around to it. Shortly after I purchased all these locos, I ended up moving and had no place to model for quite a while. Now, I have a nephew who is really interested in HO trains and I figured it would be a good time to get back into the hobby after all these years.

The reason I ask about Atlas making GP-9's is because the Proto 2000's I have are already in the B&O paint my nephew wants to model so I figure if Atlas made or makes them I will just replace the ones I will keep with more Atlas locos.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Maybe Atlas will produce the Geeps in HO since they already have the N-scale ones.

Atlas Geeps can be a rather hot commodity as the die for them was either lost or damaged and they won't be making any more in HO.

Mark.

Back