Handrails - will they fit?

CbarM

HO all the way!
Can anyone tell me if the plastic handrail set for an Athearn U33C or U36C fit on a RPP 8-40CW shell? I am sorta guessing that the long hood handrails and front an rear sill handrails will be the same, but not completely sure...

I do not think that Athearn ever made U-boats with plastic handrails...If it is Atlas you are talking about, I highly doubt it. Stanchion placement is not even exactly the same as the Dash 8's and 9 let alone other GE locos that whose prototype years were not even in the same decade. If I were you, I would maybe look into buying an Athearn "blue box" C44-9W handrail set and modifying it into what you need; should be a pretty close fit and will at least have the right amount of handrail stanchions.

If you're really serious about this project, you have the money to spare and a good amount of patience, you could also try a handrail set from Smokey Valley. Not sure that you've used a set from them before, but they are not for the faint of hearted. On the other hand the results are to be unmatched in accuracy!

Again, hope this helps! If you wouldn't mind me asking too, would you mind sharing your details about this Dash 8 you are going to build? Not too many people out there building GE's...Always nice to hear about what everyone else is doing.

-Rich

Thanks for the info again! I have thought about the Smokey Valley sets, but they are kinda pricey. I might try one and see how it turns out...maybe I will do the rest like that.
I am in the works of superdetailing 3 8-40CW's from RPP shells and Athearn frames/trucks. The detailing is of my own creation, as they are going to be painted and lettered Western Plains, my own fictional railroad. 2 of them will be dummies and 1 will be powered with Im not sure what yet, maybe a NWSL motor, and will then have a Soundtraxx DCC/soundboard installed. I am using a local custom painter and I think he might have the first one almost done by now. Pics will be up as soon as I have it back!

Back