Greetings from Pennsylvania!

btk

Hi, everyone!

My son and I have started getting into HO trains over the past few months. He's about to turn 4 and has always been fascinated by trains. After some trips to local club displays and shows, he said he wanted a "real train" rather than the Brio-style wooden track table he's been using for so long.

Fortunately, (or so we thought...) three of his four grandparents still had their train sets collecting dust in their attics/garages. Somewhat less fortunately, however, pretty much all of it was rusted, warped, or otherwise unusable due to decades of improper storage. After failing to bend track back into shape and having all of the wiring insulation just crumble to pieces in my hands, it became clear that anything that we could salvage from the old sets would be a maintenance nightmare, so that sort of put things on hold.

A work colleague is a rail fan and I'd been keeping him in the loop on this saga purely for his entertainment. His father, also a colleague and friend, had passed away last year and had owned a tremendous amount of HO stuff. Out of the blue, my colleague gifted us an Athearn blue box GP50 which appears to have been custom decorated and weathered by his father along with 7 cars. Floored by his generosity, there really wasn't much turning back now.

Thus was born the plan (this term is used very loosely) for our basement layout! HO gauge NS EZ-Track on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. Construction on some seriously over-engineered benchwork began, my son and I had great fun over power tools, and the platform was soon finished. It was as I was waiting for the final coat of paint to dry that I learned 5'x9' would have given us significantly more flexibility. Oops. We started with a single DC oval. It was great fun for a time, but there's only so much time a four year old (and his older, somewhat ADD, father) can spend actively driving/watching a train just going in a circle.

As a result, we've quickly grown to a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra and a double track oval with crossovers and a small yard and it's all controllable via a fascia control panel or JMRI. I also did a decoder installation in the gifted Athearn loco to give it DCC capability and added some additional lighting. The only loco that's not DCC right now is my father's 1956 Revell New Haven F7 that he had repaired for us. My incredible LHS owner (who also did the repair) advised against decoder installation because the motor in there would just burn them up. That's no problem, since the Zephyr's jump ports allow us to control a DC loco via another throttle. Now that we're at the point where we can both run trains simultaneously and a few of them have sound, it's much more fun and interesting for both of us.

The flaw in our current layout is that my junior engineer insists on making his trains as long as possible. Our longest yard spur is only about 30" and I'm trying to enforce the rule of touching the stock as little as possible in order to keep operations somewhat realistic (and to prevent drops), so this inevitably leads to a fouling of at least one main line or at a minimum the entirety of our yard. The next plan is to expand with an L-shaped addition which will give us an extension of our main line, a reversing section so that we aren't limited to always traveling counter-clockwise, a proper(-ish) yard for building and tearing down longer trains, and some loco storage so that we can convert our existing yard to a few industry spurs for some more realistic delivery operations.

I've already learned a lot from lurking, but I'm also looking forward to joining in the conversation as I start to feel like I know what I'm talking about =)

-Brian

Welcome.gif Welcome to the forum Brian. Glad to see that your son likes trains and has the bug. My two grand sons really enjoy coming over and watch the trains go. The 5 year old has really gotten quite good at switching actually using the Kadee magnets for uncoupling and spotting cars at various industries. Really gets a hoot out of running them. My layout is built for switching but every once in a while he'll want to get a long train out on the rails.

[video=youtube;wFIIWvaTiIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFIIWvaTiIk[/video]

Don't hesitate to ask any questions and stop by the coffee shop where we have a running bull session about anything but politics.

View attachment 60187 Welcome to the forum Brian. Glad to see that your son likes trains and has the bug.
Thanks! We've both got the bug now. It's one thing for him to get hooked on something, it's become an entirely different beast now that the guy with the credit card has the bug as well. =). Your layout is gorgeous!

The 5 year old has really gotten quite good at switching actually using the Kadee magnets for uncoupling and spotting cars at various industries.
This is one of our biggest issues right now. I've got a Kadee mounted at the entrance to our "yard". I even used their gluing jig. Even still, it only works about 10% of the time. I've been slowly replacing couplers with actual Kadee-brand couplers, but even that doesn't seem to make a heck of a lot of difference. Is there a trick to the technique?

Don't hesitate to ask any questions and stop by the coffee shop where we have a running bull session about anything but politics.
Will do!

I have been in HO for over 30 years working on my present layout after bailing out of N scale in the early 80's because of the lousy locomotives available back then. I'm glad to see tha tthe quality has improved so much in recent years.

I don't quite understand what you are questioning about their jig as I have never used one.

I swear by Kadee couplers. As I was building my layout, starting by hand laying my track and turnouts, I was also building my freight equipment and locomotives. Kadee couplers were among one of the first thing that was installed. Many new locomotives now comp with plastic knuckle couplers such as McHenry's and they all get replace with Kadees.

I don't quite understand what you are questioning about their jig as I have never used one.

I just mentioned the jig as evidence of a properly-installed uncoupler. Most of the time, stopping a pair of couplers over the magnet does just about nothing, whether they're Kadee or whatever happened to come with the car. I'm just wondering if there's a secret handshake or special dance you have to do while the couplers are over the magnet.

Brian - Welcome to the friendliest model railroading forum on the net. Stop by the Coffee Shop sometime to shoot the bull with other members.
The trick to the Kadee uncoupling magnets is to stop, then back up slightly to disengage, and then to pull forward. If you want to continue pushing backward, do so after you pull forward and the couplers become disengaged. Hope that this helps.

Willie

Brian, if the couplers are properly installed you should have no problem with them uncoupling over a magnet. It sounds like the problem may be in the installation. The coupler should move from side to side very easily in the coupler pocket. If they aren't, this would be a problem. I have never used a jig to install them but have installed hundreds. Here's a link to a video that shows how the coupler should work.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Kadee+Couplers+YouTube&&view=detail&mid=2C2AFAF7D82820FDD4B42C2AFAF7D82820FDD4B4&FORM=VRDGAR

Hi Brian, and Welcome!

Sounds like you have your feet wet with the model railroad hobby. One thing I would suggest, to help "keep your hands off the trains", would be the under the track uncoupler. They are fun to work and will add a new dimension.

If you don't have the hump, you can push the car back to where it belongs. You can get a simple one that is always "on" for about $5.00, or one that can be turned on and off.

It may be best to install it on your spur or siding as they can accidently uncouple cars if installed on the mainline.

[video=youtube;u1WIX55M130]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1WIX55M130[/video]

Back