Granite Gorge and Northern

Chrιstιaη

Hello Happy Members !
Has anyone ever built the famous Granite Gorge and Northern layout in N scale ? Thanks for your replies.
OMG ! Am I hooked by the N scale ? :oops: :rolleyes: o_O

index.php

Last edited:
Hello Happy Members !
Has anyone ever built the famous Granite Gorge and Northern layout in N scale ? Thanks for your replies.
OMG ! Am I hooked by the N scale ? :oops: :rolleyes: o_O

index.php
I've not built it, but is seems someone on this forum has recently started, or was it re-started a thread on this layout. As I think more about it, it might have been in the electrical section dealing with how to wire reversing loops.

The original HO layout was 5' x 9', if memory serves. If scaled down directly for N-scale, it would be 3' x 5' (54.4% of HO scale).

If I were going to build it in N-scale, I would shoot for 4' x 8'. Curves could be larger, and grades would be shallower, compared to a 3' x 5' layout. Of course, it depends on if one has the room for a 4' x 8' layout to start with.

Last edited:
I've not built it, but is seems someone on this forum has recently started, or was it re-started a thread on this layout. As I think more about it, it might have been in the electrical section dealing with how to wire reversing loops.
One of the cool things about this layout is that despite its apparent complexity, there ARE no reversing loops! I had (and still have) the Atlas book this was in as a kid and spent hours staring at this layout imagining the possibilities. I'm now in my 50s and looking to finally get back to it. I built the table, but never got much farther than laying some track. And I can see that a lot has changed since the early 90s!

Hello Yes. I (we) built the GGN in HO scale three times. I converted to n scale in 2021. Decided to build it again. John Armstrong did a fantastic job with the original design. I added a few things...
Here is my reworked design. It fits into 75 by 51 inches, with extra bump-out wings at both ends (to permit larger radius curves.) I just built the bump-outs with styrofoam slabs and caulk.
1710708828746.png

Here is a "in-progress" picture. I used styrofoam for the scenery- really fast to build up. I use the NCE PowerCab to run up to 6 trains at a time, and idle another 6 to 8 units and only use about 1/2 of the controller current.
IMG_20220706_175925893.jpg

Hello Yes. I (we) built the GGN in HO scale three times. I converted to n scale in 2021. Decided to build it again. John Armstrong did a fantastic job with the original design. I added a few things...
Here is my reworked design. It fits into 75 by 51 inches, with extra bump-out wings at both ends (to permit larger radius curves.) I just built the bump-outs with styrofoam slabs and caulk.
View attachment 184351
Here is a "in-progress" picture. I used styrofoam for the scenery- really fast to build up. I use the NCE PowerCab to run up to 6 trains at a time, and idle another 6 to 8 units and only use about 1/2 of the controller current.
View attachment 184352
Wow! There's a whole lot going on here. Love the disappearing loops and intricacy of the plan. Looks like a fun layout to run.

View attachment 184351
View attachment 184352
How big is the minimum table size for Ho, and what’s the minimum radius for curves?

How big is the minimum table size for Ho, and what’s the minimum radius for curves?
If you go with HO, I strongly suggest 5x9 feet. Less than this and you get into trouble with track on the very edge of the table, and tight curves. Use flextracks wherever you can- it is a LOT easier. I cannot recall the interior radius of the inner-most loop, but I think it was a bit tight for 85 foot cars.
My dad built the first version when we were small. Then, when we were in high school, my brothers and I rebuilt the GGN. When my kids were small we did it again. I liked it so much, I did it in N scale with mods as you can see. Part of the "cool" is that Atlas and others made buildings and such in both scales.

3/29- added a "Night Shot".
t2.jpg
t6.jpg
IMG_20221009_165455720.jpg

Last edited:
One of the cool things about this layout is that despite its apparent complexity, there ARE no reversing loops!
Thank you for correcting me. I tracked down the thread that I was thinking about. It is on another forum. In that case the builder had modified the plan. One of those modifications was to had added a crossover on the far left (as below) that caused the reversing loop problems. Sorry for any confusion I caused with my post.
1711296910020.png

Last edited:

Back